Thread: Dutch Oven Recipes

Dutch Oven Recipes

Not sure why but fall camping is my favorite time of year for dutch oven cooking. I'll share my favorite recipe if others share theirs. We'll be taking our annual fall/halloween/last camping trip of the season in about a month and I'd love to have some new recipes to try.

BTW, this isn't technically written for cooking in the fire but it works just great and tastes better this way [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Autumn Ragout With Roasted Vegetables

INGREDIENTS
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons prepared mustard
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
    2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled rutabaga
    2 cups (1-inch) cubed carrot
    1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1-1/2 pounds skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1/2 pound turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    2 cups (1-inch) pieces napa (Chinese) cabbage
    2 cups low-salt chicken broth
    1/2 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup Pennsylvania-Dutch Apple Butter or Spiced Pear Butter
    1 (15-ounce) can navy beans, drained

INSTRUCTIONS
    Estimated Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Add squash, rutabaga, carrot, and onion, and toss well. Bake mixture at 450 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Combine squash mixture, chicken, and remaining ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

YIELD: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup).

Rob

Re: Dutch Oven Recipes

Here's one our favorite meals while camping is made with a dutch oven. We too prefer this fixed on the coals rather than the oven for the slight smokey taste. Hmmmm.....good! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CHICKEN PIE WITH BISCUIT CRUST
    Filling:
    8c chicken broth
    6 carrots, in 1/4in slices
    1 1/2 lbs potatoes, diced
    5 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
    2 onion, chopped
    12 tbs margarine
    12 tbs flour
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 cup fresh parsley, minced
    Crust:
    2 2/3 cups flour
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    4 tbs margarine, softened
    4 tbs shortening
    2/3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
    2 large eggs, beaten
    2/3 cups buttermilk
    Egg Wash
    2 large egg yolk
    2 tbs milk

In a large pot, bring broth to a boil. Add carrots, potatoes, and parsley and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Transfer veggies to large bowl, reserving broth, and add chicken to mixture. Mix well. In a skillet, sauté onion in margarine until clear. Add flour and cook into a roux, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add 6 cups broth and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Add thyme and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over the chicken/veggie mixture. Stir gently and pour into Dutch oven. In a large pot, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add margarine and shortening. Blend until it resembles meal. Add cheese and mix well. Add eggs and buttermilk, stirring until dough is formed. On a floured surface, pat dough out 1/2in thick and cut biscuits. Arrange biscuits on the chicken mixture. Mix egg wash and brush tops of the biscuits. Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes, or until the biscuits are puffed
    and golden.

OK, Not to sound dumb, but whats a Dutch Oven? It that that big cast iron pot, with a cast iron lid? I have seen people burying them in hot coals to cook. Is that it?
    Paul Bradway

Paul, you won the Dutch oven award for answering your own question--Congrats! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] The oven is such a verstible creature. You can bury it to cook in, put it over a fire, use it on the stove top, or place it in the oven.

See. I'm not as dumb as I type. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have been looking to get one[eaven if I did not know what it was called] Gueiss now I will have to. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Oh lord. Cornbread cooked in a Dutch oven in the coals of a campfire. Flash back time!

Chuck

I can't give you the recipe, but one of the BEST dutch oven treats I ever had was a pineapple upside down cake. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It was made as part of a cooking demonstration for a bunch of Scout leaders.

If you're looking for new recipes, why don't you get a hold of some of the dutch oven cooking books the Boy Scouts put out.? Cooking was never my forte when I was in Scouting, although I did excel at eating!! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

okay, twist my arm....here's the Pineapple Upside Down Cake from the Scouting site:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Yellow cake mix (Jiffy cake mix doesn't require eggs)
    Pineapple slices
    Brown sugar
    Maraschino cherries
    Butter or margarine

Use a metal pan that will fit into the dutch oven *or* use foil. Put the pan into the oven so that it rests above or on top of 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the oven. If you are using foil, wrap the foil over the sides of the dutch oven, so that you have a "pan" inside that just rests on top of the water/other but won't fall in. Use several layers of foil. Put dots of butter in pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over bottom. Place pineapple slices in a single layer on the bottom. Place maraschino cherries in the holes in the pineapple slices. Pour cake batter over this. Close up dutch oven, place coals on top if desired or possible, and bake until done. Also, you can include walnuts.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]