Thread: Blacksmithing

Blacksmithing

I copied this from a post I just made on TBN after searching on the subject, and I thought it would fit in here, too.

Anyone build a forge? Anyone got a hot (!!) setup for someone who doesn't want to make it a vocation, but would like to fool around with some simple stuff (re-pointing wood hooks, twisting and bending stuff for fun and utility), then maybe try welding, or forging some blades?

I got a couple old 20" truck brake drums, and a few odd pieces of 2" pipe & fittings. I've seen drawings of home-made forges used with hair dryers blowing through pipe, up into the brake drum. I've seen people 'smithing with a gas torch for heat, but it seems expensive. I've seen tray-type fire boxes, with sheetmetal hoods.

I'd like to get some ideas for a handy, inexpensive, beginner type setup that could be assemdled with standard stock and pieces. I'd also appreciate advice, and maybe websites, or books if neccessary. Blacksmithing seems like more of a felt thing than a thing one reads from a book, but all info would be glady accepted.

I'd also like info on what type of simple tools to have, fuel to use, and what types of steel - mostly cold rolled, standard stuff? I've seen a lot of shops, some active, some museum type displays, and there's a million tools hanging around the forge, and various vises, etc.. Anyone out there doing a lot of forging with a brake drum forge, and a couple long handled tongs, a hand sledge or big ball pein hammer, a piece of railroad track, and a plastic bucket full of water, or is that too crude?

I know there's a couple of you out there........

Re: Blacksmithing

Check out Centaurforge.com and ABANA.org. Good information for anyone interested in Vulcan's arts.
    PMAN

PMAN sent me a PM that is full of good info. Anyone who wants more on this should talk (or listen) to him. If I get his permission, I'll copy his message to this thread.

PMAN sent me such detailed PM's that I asked and got his permission to post both of them here:

Check out the following for some tool ideas - Centaurforge.com.
    ABANA (Artist Blacksmith Association of North America) now has a web-site at ABANA.org, some pretty interesting stuff in the magazine (I was a member when I was in the business as a general smith (10+ years, have moved on to a steadier paying field) (no horses)).
    As far as a setup, I used a B model Mack break drum, modified to hold a bottom blast cast iron fire pot (check centaur catalog) with air feed from a forced air furnace blower. Air flow was regulated using a simple slide valve/gate across the airway. I used flexible airway (again centaur), but I would bet you could rig some steel clothes drier pipe.
    As for fuel, much of my work was high-carbon tool work, so I used mostly charcoal purchased from AGWAY by the pallet (not cheap for hobby use, but should try it, you will use about two to three times as much as coal) The best general use (read that cheap) is soft (bituminous)coal, or if you can get it coke.
    Get the heaviest anvil you can find. Good used should be no more than one dollar a pound. The most versatile IMHO is the London pattern.
    Finally, the best **** hammers I have used are the Sears Craftsman cross pein hammers. They seem to outlast hammers of considerably higher cost.
    Sorry for the long message. Best of luck.
    PMAN

Charcoal was used because of low impurities. Most coal has some amount of sulfur, which is death to forge welding (I made a bit of pattern-welded [sometimes misnamed damascus] steel for knives) and sulfur will also cause some amount of 'embrittlement' in high carbon steel.
    For most ornamental iron work and for general mid-carbon and other tool work I used soft coal. There are a number of really neat gas forge plans around that are worth looking into. I did have a small gas forge built from plans in some (I forget which) custom knife magazine. The nicest thing about gas is you don't have to sift it, another positive is the rapid heat up and cool down, which is important if you don't want to be worried about burning your shop down.
    If you plan on any custon knife work or other welding intensive operation, be carefulk about what commercial gas forges state. I'm not sure if there are any below 500 dollars that are really up to the task. This may be different now, I have not really followed the gas forges for about two years.
    I have posted the info about the catalogs, and if I can think of anything else of general nature I'll post that too. Have fun getting into the fire. Just remember, hot steel doesn't like to tell you its still hot enough to make your hand smell like barbeque.

Thanks, PMAN!