Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: raising cattle

Re: raising cattle

This is not about cattle but my wife is from ypsi, and the best sandwich I ever ate in my life was at the Big Buck Brewery in Gaylord. I think it was on the way back from the island. I can still taste it 4 years later. It was a corned venison sandwich and a fresh brewed beer. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I am serious when I say I would drive the 11 hours to get another one.

Patrick

The Big Buck Brewery is still there, and they're still brewing beer and making that same sandwich. You don't have to drive all the way to Gaylord anymore. I think there is one in the Detroit area now. If you can't find it come on up, the color tour is on. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Do you know about what they cost? I'm thinking about just a young steer to keep.

I just picked up three Herefords today, Meat, Chuck and Pumkin (pumpkin was bottle fed [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ). One was a bull and we de-bulled him upon delevery.

Cattle are pretty self caring, especally in warmer climents. I keep about 6-10 plus three horses on about 13 acres. Only work I do with the cattle in the occasional round up for worming and shots.
    Roger Meadows
    TiAnViCa Ranch
    Mulberry, Florida

bigbukhntr-

As you can see from the other guys, the number of cattle your land can support will vary wildly depending on region. Talk to your local Ag Extension agent regarding the appropriate # of cattle to run on your property.

The reason you should do this is that Texas law states you must says that your land (to retain 1-D-1 Ag Exempt Status) must meet the same intensity of use "...typical (of) prudent producers in your area."

The "raising or keeping livestock" clause might allow you to keep the Ag exemption if you have "pet cattle" [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] , but better to check with the authorities on that one as well, otherwise you might need to think about butchering 'ol Bessy.

Not sure if you're aware of it or not, but there are some pretty serious ramifications with regards to taking property out of Ag production. (5 yrs backed differential taxes @ 7% interest, which can mean some big bucks).

Hope this helps.

I don't believe that it would, at least not in any state I"ve lived in or on a federal level. You have to be involved in the production of a product to qualify for an ag exemption. This means raising livestock to sell, raising a crop to sell, raising the livestock to support a business, ie a hunting ranch, raising horses to sell, zoo, etc. There has to some type of production going on. If there isn't then you cannot qualify as an ag. exemption.

Cowboydoc-

I suspect you're right. I figured that it would probably make more sense for him to check with the "proper" authorities before he made any commitments. (sure hate to see a multi-thousand dollar mistake based on any advise I threw out! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

Personally I don't think the "wildlife management" clause would get him that exemption either since it is such a small tract of land, but I'm not sure on that one either, so it would make sense for him check with the State on that one too.

(bump) Argee (or anyone else) did you ever get anywhere with the "miniature" breeds?

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

I never had cattle for a pet although we would like to get one some day. We were thinking of Scotch highland. They are very rugged, but a cold weather animal due to the long hair. we were going to get a steer (castrated male). Due to size of the animal, it's not a pet for cuddleing with, but I've seen some very gentle animals. If you decide to get something for a pet, see if you can work with the farmer before the animal is born and have the calf imprinted and handled from birth, and buy it very young. I would think a steer would be better than a heifer because you don't have to contend with hormones. Dexters are very small, and at first I was considering them , but they are very expensive. They are also hard to find. You may consider a small breed of the "normal" cattle, such as a Jersey. Try going to some shows and speak to people there about they stock. Good luck.

Tim,

Been out pricing them and plan on aquiring some this spring. I'd like to start out with a few heifers and start building a herd. Think I'll go with artificial insemination and cull all the bull calves, turn 'em into steers and raise for meat. Just ordered a half dozen hogs also.

Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]