Thread: anyone move an old barn?

anyone move an old barn?

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of having an old barn moved to our land. Has anyone done this, and what kind of money should we expect to pay? We are not looking for one of those BIG barns. Just a smaller one, about 30x40. As of now, we are just planning on using it for storage for all my cars, and a workshop for boat building. We have also been thinking of a new pole barn, but just like the look of the old barn better. Any ideas? Any tips? Thanks. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Re: anyone move an old barn?

Paul,

It can be done but probably more costly as each timber is marked for location, old pegs removed, new ones made etc..

There are some companys here in NE that dismantle old buildings and barns then take the timbers and cut them to size for a new building. This is an alternative as well, tho again more costly than the a new frame/pole construction.

That said if you can find one in decent condition - not bowed/warped it can be a very nice addition to your land, and one that will add value and character to your property.

Carl

Moving and rebuilding a barn can end up costing a fair amount of money. If you want to recreate the look of an older barn you can have a pole barn built which from a distance will look a lot like an older barn. When I had my pole barn built, I used board and batten siding and a 7/12 pitch roof. With the more steeply pitched roof and the wood siding the building looks like it has been around for a long time.

Pual, It is definitely more expensive than a new pole or stick built barn, but may be cheaper than a new timberframe barn. Especially if you can get the barn for cheap.

Check out Timber frame Guild for some more info. Also a google search on barn renovation or restoration turns up some good info.

I am starting to research this myself. My neighbor has a barn that is being neglected. Maybe in exchange for filling in the cellar hole after the dismantling, I could get the barn for free? At least that is the best case scenario. I still need to get a better Idea of the overall cost of the project before I make the offer.
    Hazmat

Paul - Try this: www.thebarnjournal.org/ Interesting page with lots of info. Tradesman(new and renovators) and barn classifieds. Chuck

If the barn is right next door, you might be able to have it jacked up and moved in one piece just like houses are moved. A friend of mine did that with a neighbor's barn. They jacked it, got some timbers to use as rollers and pulled it with an 8 wheel tractor.

I agree with AndyF. We built a similar barn after check out moving a small barn It was much cheaper to build new. The siding is green hemlock 10 inch boards with 3 inch battens.

We are letting them dry out and weather a little before staining. It is the look we wanted.

Well, looks like we will pass up moving an old barn. May just have to build an old looking new barn. Would be a lot cheeper.
    Paul Bradway

Hazmat, I remember a post where you talked about moving that barn. Have you considered just buying that section of property from your neighbor?

Spence

Spence,

I have considered it. The access from my property isn't very good. when they filled in around the foundation they left a very steep hill. Plus I'd have to travel over my septic system to get there. Not a good place for a "road". I can go around the septic, but that would involve using more of the neighbor's property that is very near their house. The far side of the barn abutts their pool. So no "drive thru service"

The whole idea of a barn is more of a mid term goal/dream than a short term need. Got to get the house remodeled first to keep the boss happy. Although she did just rent a movie called "Life as a house" where the guy has cancer & builds his dream house (timber frame) with his son. Made her cry & also made her want to build the barn with me.
    Hazmat