Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sulfur Water. What to Do?

Administrator

Re: Sulfur Water. What to Do?

High potassium can also cause "rotten egg" smell.

You might get good info from calling up the local "water treatment" people. I went to the local water/testing lab (ask a real estate agent who they use for water testing). I paid
    around $200 for the full analysis. I wanted to MAKE SURE of the condition of my water supply.

Suich labs are independent, licesned by the state, and sell no equipment. I got the whole assay of almost 200 different components, including fertilizer, chemical contaminants, nuclear, etc.

All of the local water treatment companies will likely get different results. It would be okay for a quick test (you can get similar testing kits from a local swimming pool supply).

You have a lot of good ideas here. Let us know what you find out as you move along.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Looks like you have all the information in the other replies. Just wanted to add that you should let a few companies come in and test the water. When I did this, the results were all over the place. Some of these guys don't know what they are doing.

I took a sample to an independent lab and had the water tested myself. Three of the five companies that made bids were close enough to have solved the problems but two were completely wrong. Their systems would not have solved all the problems.

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Thanks to all of you Gentlemen. I'm getting a some great feedback here. They say that you learn something new everyday, but I think I learn more then that here. Thanks again , Kent

Just curious:
    Will the air in the sulfur water catch on fire if you hold a match to it?

Egon

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Wow, I never tried that one. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

Kent

What test do they use for hydrogen sulfide? Sounds like my water, yellow stains and smelly, but all the tests I can find through the local labs and health dept. just cover the standard iron, hardness, etc. which are all fine. Even called a couple places like Culligan. They all said, "get a water softener, that'll fix it". When I asked if I could get a refund if it didn't, they all said NO. Suggestions?

what state you in????
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Maryland. Looking for a good lab that can identify what is wrong. I don't mind spending money to fix stuff right, I HATE spending money to fix things wrong though.

When I lived in Florida, I had a well which of course had stinky sulphur water.

The system they installed for me was comprised of an aerator -- big white container which held about 100 gallons of water and a water softener. I am not quite sure how the aerator worked, but I think it forced the water into this tank through some small spray-like means to force out the gas in the water. Then this would pass through into the water softener.

The water smelled and tasted great!
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Cooperative Extension System, Cornell University, University of Maryland 1-800-342-2507

They should be able to help you with a complete test
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>