Thread: Heat Pump + Water Heater?

Heat Pump + Water Heater?

Does anyone have or are you familiar with hooking a water line to a heat pump?
    As a real estate broker, I saw one in a house about a year ago, and I plan to ride back out to see it again, but I don't remember many of the details other than it seemed like a great idea, & it worked - the actual water heater saw about 30% of normal use, as I recall.

Pretty simple concept, run the water through the heat pump, and have a recirculate-able holding tank, all tied into the hot water line to the house.

I have a dinosaur a/c unit, runs great (and A LOT!), just not efficient, and plan to replace shortly. I like this idea, and curious of downsides etc.

Thanks!
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Re: Heat Pump + Water Heater?

So... Nobody has any thoughts???
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

thoughts? Sure ... got more opinions than I really need and I'm never reticent to share them.
    Experience? Sorry ... can't help you there .... always been interested as free is the best price ... but never been near a working unit.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

I have seen a setup as you describe. The builder of ICF homes swears by it. They state it is extremely energy efficient/cost savings as much as 30-50%. At the time, I decided to use a Geothermal system, so I didn't much pay attention. Also, the builder was using too much technical jargon to understand. He has built quite a few homes here in Southeastern MI with this type of setup. Sorry, can't help you more than that.

I've only heard of such setups as part of a geothermal system. How would you run a water line to a standard air-type heat pump?

Chuck

Have never seen one but do know it requires a thermal sink that must lie between certain temps for them to be efficient as either heat or cooling systems.

Egon