Thread: Getting skid steer work

Getting skid steer work

I've got a Bobcat 873 Skid Steer which I use to clear the brush in the woods, as well as all my current (and future) excavation projects. I've now logged over 65 hours on this bad boy, and feel I am getting pretty good with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to land some "side jobs" with my skid steer? Should I just stick a sign near the road that says, "Skid Steer Machine/Operator for Hire"? How about talking to nearby landscape/nursery owners? Would local excavation firms need subcontractor help?

Any help with some brain-storming ideas would be welcome.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Re: Getting skid steer work

In my area is is common to see signs nailed to telephone poles advertising tractor work. However, to be honest with you, until I started shopping for a tractor I had never heard the term skid steer before so I have to wonder am I an ioslated case or are there a lot of folks who would not know what one is. Of course commercial interests would know what a skid steer is but I doubt they would be looking for signs on the side of the road when they go looking for help. If you want to advertise on the roadside maybe you could put it down as dirt work or tractor work or something that folks could identify with and then get into more specifics when folks call to inquire about your services. Just a thought...
    Chris

down here most all landscapers use skid steers....most people know em as bobcats though.....i have seen several signs around newer subdivisions advertising "lawns leveled with good clean dirt".....seems most homebuilders just throw any crap out there and call it a lawn....most people are willing to get a couple loads of good sandy loam spread nice and evenly, which is where a small bobcat might come in...i realize a 873 is pretty good size, but u will just have to be careful around houses and landscaping...

I would decide first of all if it is worth the hassle. You are going to have to have a bunch of insurance. It seems like you have quite a bit to protect and it only takes one small accident to ruin a person. Basically you would be a contractor and you would need contractor's ins. plus a liability and I would strongly suggest an umbrella policy as well. When you work for hire none of your other ins. applies. Even if you work for under the counter money and you break a main line, put out power or worse injure someone, even if it is their fault, they will come after you. Alot of people think they're protected but they aren't. I've seen it happen too many times to guys that just did stuff on the side and had an accident and it ruined them financially. If you work on a contractor's job you will probably need a license depending on the laws in the county, state, etc. you are working in.

YES cowboy doc correct again i had a skidsteer pulling large pine trees down on my property and he had to have over 1 million dollar ins. policy and don't for get the machine and repaires too it. He left it at my house nights and week ends but may get damaged if it is on somebody's land
    EDT

Gatorboy

I agree, you'll need insurance. You can get contractor ins. (exensive) or landscapers insurance (very reasonable) A million dollar policy is pretty standard. Couple hundred dollars a year where I'm from. And you very well may need a license of some kind. Most states regulate landscapers. In my state it's a test. There are study guides and it's not difficult.

I assume you have a way to haul your machine. Why not advertise in your local paper? Or do you have a penny shopper, bullitinboard paper etc. Those local trader type papers are pretty good and advertising is usually inexpensive.

Have you thought about how much you want to charge?

Here is a link you may find interesting. It 's for a landscape message board. Do a search on skid steer/bobcat and you'll get hundreds of hits. No reason why you can't make some extra cash with your machine. Many people do. Just do your research and know what you're getting into.

http://lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php...&forumid=4

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't you have to file self-employment taxes with the IRS or would it be under the "other income" bracket? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg