Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Workshop construction

Re: Workshop construction

Here's a photo of them on the ground.

Nice shop and big. Pretty much the same situation: my shop is 30'x60' (picture), framed, metal roof and siding. 30'x30' will be tractor/garage/metal shop and the other half will be woodworking shop. I am only amateur woodworker but have a lot of tools and love it. Are you a pro? Shop needs to be finished inside. Our shop will be about 200' from the house. We won't be starting on the house until next summer.

I'm just an amatuer. Started woodworking 20 years or so ago and have slowly built up my tools and shop requirements. It's funny that although I like to build furniture, most of my work has been remodeling my own houses and shops. Previous shops have always been too small after about 6 months so I always end up using the garage too. In our new house we are building, my wife wanted the workshop 100+ yards from the house/garage to prevent that from happening again. It is and we'll see.

That looks great! What made you go with framing over pole type construction? I like framed buildings too but the cost is pretty high around here.

The shop is designed to be fully insulated with heating and AC. Given the humidity we have, I felt it best for furniture building. I also wanted the shop to have a similar appearance to the house we are building (prarrie style with 8 foot overhangs). The architect and builder felt stick frame construction would be better. The woodshop will have a raised wood floor on sleepers over the concrete. This is more comfortable than working on cement. It also helps prevent tool damage since I do have "butter fingers." The tractor storage portion will have the cement floor. I'll probably use metal roofing on the shop rather than the faux slate for the house ($$). Haven't made a decision about the siding for the shop. Originally it was to be finished like the house but again $$ raises concerns. The house will have a lower course of faux stone to a granite sill wainscoating. Above this will be brick with cedar trim around the windows. The shop is certainly a luxury but I'll be in it alot so I want it comfortable.

Busy week. Here's the crane lifting the trusses.

Another shot of the trusses being lifted.

Shop truss installation is about 80% completed this week. Here's a shot of the back of the shop showing the tractor bay door.

Great photos. What fun that must be to watch the progress. You'll be glad you took the photos later. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It sure is nice to see such a fine shop / barn going up ... I know you will enjoy it ...That sounds like a very nice place you have there .. I have my shop designed and sitting on ready ... I had hoped to have it underway now but got to wait a bit ... It will be constructed with the same materials as the house, and is also designed to compliment the house. Thanks for sharing the progress with pictures...