Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: casa di paese...

Re: casa di paese...

Are you building it yourself? YES

Am I doing it all alone? NO

Paul, I've been the GC of this project from the beginning. Land clearing, driveway building, excavation, concrete work, septic installation, well drilling, grading. I also did the floorplan layout along with the other design decisions.

As for building the structure for the most part there has been 4 guys workin' on it. There's me, plus I've contracted with my friend Mike whose been workin in the building trades over the past 25 yrs, Mike brings with him his son, Jim. He's 24, and another young man about the same age as Jim also named Mike. 2 Mikes. Now that leads to one small problem in that the younger Mike is so large a young man its just seems not fitting to call him "little" Mike and refer to Jim's dad as "big" Mike This is especially funny since dad is the smaller of us all and of course if you call him "young" Mike then that would make the other mike "old" Mike. No good either. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Sometimes ya just can't win.

For certain I can't cover all the bases especially livin' 200 mi away. I try to be there 4 days a week for sure, though lately its been more like 10+ days in row. The house is going to have vinyl siding and pre-painted metal coil stock trim. This part has been sub-contracted out. I've got plans for me and Jim to do all the household wiring. Jim's trained and apprenticed in electricity. Now the wife has plans too! Said she can help install the insulation, but draws the line at sheetrock! Well, we'll just have see were it goes from there. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Btw, Here's a pic from the day we were installing all the windows. That's Jim on the scaffold.

DFB

Looks like a big job you got there. I don't know if I could do it. LOTS of time, and work. Looks real good.
    Paul Bradway

DFB,

Very nice home and location with a great view.. Looks like a nice getaway spot in the Green Mtns.

Just was looking at your pics and realized something was missing - typar/tyvek is usually put on before the windows etc.. I know some use that 3/8-1/2" interlocking insulation board under vinyl - is that the plan?

Also, on insulation here in NH the insulation contractors will do an average house 2000 SF in a day for about $7-800 more than the cost of buying the materials at contractor pricing. I did the house with some help but the 26/42 garage/office was contract installed for $500 more than what I could buy it for..

I've done the GC route with all he buildings and though stressful at times wouldn't do it any other way.

Carl

Carl, Thanks. I got to agree with ya, putting the housewrap on before the windows and doors are set is a common practice. Makes for a tightly done install. Just X cut the openings and staple it back. Neat and clean. From what understand the housewrap is especially important when using OSB too. I used a fir pywood throughout. None the less it is all covered with Barricade housewrap now. Ain't much to look at though. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    In some of the pics you can still see some old typar wrap still on the kneewalls from before.

I discussed with the siding sub about using the fanfold or an equivilent brand insulated backer board under the siding. they told me that they normally didn't use it on the new construction jobs, just when they sided over old clapboards. In my siding installation manual it's use is recommended by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the tip on the insulation installation. I don't think I ever heard of a specific "insulation only" subcontractor out our way. I will have to ask around. Already did some shopping at the local HD last nite. Don't have one of them around back there either. Truck's all loaded up with polystyrene sheets for the basement and propervents for the eaves. Darn, even bought wifey an electric stapler to use too! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

DFB

DFB

I'm not sure if you can use the fan-fold or thin insulation board over the house wrap since it's meant to let air out but not in, and covering this with another barrier may trap moisture etc. I would get a insulation contractor's opinion on this.

If you want a really tight house there is new spray material that expands when sprayed then excess is cut away - it's $$ from what i have heard but savings are in heat over a few years esp where you will be exposed to the elements and wind etc..

Good luck on the propervent installation and stay out of the line of fire when your wife's using that stapler [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ..

Carl

Carl, right you are about not using a vapor barrier under the insulation board. The installation instructions provided by the siding manufacturer detail that very situation.

Thanks for the heads up on the stapler gun. Some of those thoughts have already crossed my mind too. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

DFB

Looks good and nice location. I still have the lower level to do this winter on our home but the rest of the house is completed. A lot of long hours but when your done you will have a wonderful home.