Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-demand water heaters

On-demand water heaters

In anticipation of breaking ground on our mountain home, I'm trying to define and nail down as many specs as possible (it would probably be easier to nail jello to a wall). I've been looking into water heating methods.

What think you all about on-demand heaters? Pros and cons? Elec or Gas? Up front costs are clearly higher....are they worth it?

Re: On-demand water heaters

How many people in the house, and their ages?
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

<font color="blue"> How many people in the house, and their ages? </font color>

What a curious question. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

My wife and I are in our early fifties. We will live there part time, with perhaps summer residency and occasional visits from our various six children (blended family), ages 21, 20, 17, 16, 12, 9. Of these, my stepson Tripp loves to take long showers in case that is a factor. In case you are wondering, the rest of the time the children are with their other parent(s). We also have extended family that may visit. My mother is 82... I have two brothers, one of whom lives close by, is married to a 39 year old beautiful wife with two children, ages 4 and 3 mos. Jake, the 4 year old, informs me he doesn't like to take showers or baths. My other brother is 49, but single. He likes to bathe, I think, as he is generally squeaky clean. My sister is 55...she and her husband have five between them. I won't deliniate their ages because I think this thread may get long and boring if I do. The only other factor I can think of would be potential visits of our numerous friends and their clans...I think you get the picture....sometimes it will be two of us or me by myself....sometimes it will be a crowd. I assume we size heating capacity for the crowd?

Actually, I wasn't looking for the capacity as much as the cost. From what you've told me, I would go with the 'on demand' system.

Now, if you would have told me that it was your primary residence, and that you were in your early thirtys, with two teen-agers, then my recomendation would have been oil-fired, 50 gallon tank.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

One thing that I would look at with the gas on demand systems is how well the area is going to be sealed where the on demand water heater is going to be located. If I remember correctly the air demands are quite high and quite specific on the area to be installed for the available air supply. You may have to put in an air supply if you go gas. On the electric models there no requirements such as this.

That makes sense. Haven't nailed down that detail yet, but will probably locate it in equipment room off of service yard.

Thanks for the insights, Mike and DD!

Wasabi,

In addition to hot water propane, some more thoughts and comments about gas/propane.

Gas Stove, Gas Dryer, Space heater (Rinnai or similar - venting type) or fireplace for those cool mornings/evenings, and even refrigerators on propane.

Of course by the time you buy the space heater, hot water system etc. you may be able to get a gas boiler for heat and water..

Have fun planning.

Carl

wasabi
    I looked at the electric on demand water heaters and the biggest draw back was it took a 100 amp line just for it. Which meant you would need a 200 amp service meter. Since you are looking a new construction that should be no problem but for remodels most older homes do not meet the service requirements. Good luck.

Randy

Have you thought of a recirculation pump for hot water instead of "On Demand"?
    I put one in my new construction because the "On demand" or some people refer to it as "Instant hot" had an unacceptable payback period. The recirculation pump is also on a timer so it should reduce energy consumption.
    I like the way my hot water works very much. You may want to give this a look.

Buster, how is the circulating circuit plumbed? Is there a return line back to the water heater, with the pump on that line? If so, where is it plumbed back into the heater? I'm thinking that if this is the case the drain valve could be removed and the loop plumbed back in there, with a valve added in that line for the drain. I don't think you want to just hook into the cold water line, at least not without adding a check valve-which in itself is a bad thing to do in a hot water circuit due to thermal expansion of the water.

I have heard of this setup, but never done it or seen it myself. I plan to do something like this on my next place-it takes a long time to get hot water to my upstairs bath now.

Thanks in advance.

Brian