Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: House

Re: House

AHHH what the builder says. Well, good question. Well the weathers bad, its cold, bad subs, have to get more, be closed in a week, be in by christmas, we have heard it all. Finly my wife rote an email speling it all out. "we are upset, and want to be in our new house, what are you going to do about it" waiting for a replay now. Ya its been cold and snowy, but we went to contract JUNE 10th!. Don't know if we should fire them, or eaven if we can. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Not having fun.
    Paul Bradway

Hey Paul, I can see why your not happy.

You have a lot more patience than I do. If I was promised to be in by Christmas and the house is just now closed in from the weather, there would have been a lot of chewing on that builder. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Have you talked to your lawyer about the situation? What does the bank have to say too? I will bet that this builder has his draws set so that you are paying him for work before the work is completed. If not then this guy is the worst business man on top of being an incompetent builder. He may build you a wonderful house but if he cannot keep on schedule what good is he.

For several years I owned an insulation company with two partners. We installed fiber glass and cellulose insulation for builders and home owners. There were builders that we would not contract with because they were so disorganized they cost us money. One of our crews would show on the scheduled day only to find that the house was not ready for them. Most large builders were very good to work with because they were always in contact with the subs and tried very hard to stay on schedule.

There are always delays of some sort but the weather is not the real problem. If I read the posts right you were originally scheduled to be in the home in August. You did not break ground until September. The fall is always a tricky time to build in New York State but the fact that your builder did not have a driveway in place for the trucks tells me a lot about him. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I hate to tell you this but the hard work on your hose is just beginning. Just don’t let him get away with inferior work just so you can get into the house.

You live in a nice area of the state and are close enough to Albany to dump this guy and find your own subs. You sure could do better than what has been done by the builder so far. This guy is costing you big time. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">This guy is costing you big time.</font color>

Indeed, the interest juggernaut just keeps on chugging away...

Well in truth, we just closed on the loan in dec, no first drow till the foundation was in, so thats not bad. We did talk to them the other day, and we seem to be getting moving. Some things were cleared up, and lines of comutation are better. So lets hope. I guess plumming starts monday, so we will see. Wish me luck
    Paul Bradway

Well Things are moving along good. Tubs, and showers got delivered this weekend, and they started rough ins for the plumbing on Friday. This week the heat ducts are being installed, and more plumping. It looks good. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's real nice to see some progress! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Glad to hear things are back on track for you Paul. Hope it stays that way and you end up moved in soon [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

We just had the trim guy back yesterday to replace a piece of arch trim that didn't fit well (milled poorly from the door supplier). I wasn't home but he mentioned to my wife that we were his favorite customers ever. I guess a spirit of cooperation on both parts goes a long way.

Our builder does a one year check and will tend to any issues that have cropped up (other than urgent issues). We've got a few drywall cracks, some hanging doors and other various settling related issues. Spoke with her the other day and we're planning on getting together for pizza with all our kids soon. At this point, I can't say enough about being happy with your builder [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

not to rub it in, but we also poured a slab in december, dec. 20 to be exact, and we are putting in flooring this week, should be in the house by march 20.....90 days is about right for a 4000 sq ft house....granted, we havent had the snow you've had either, but we do get quite a bit of rain....our builder just didnt let many days go by without any work being done, and if no one worked on the house one day, i wanted to know why....i can remember days when we had the rough in electricians , plumbers, bricklayers and roofers all there on the same day. last week we had trim guys on the inside, bricklayers on the outside, garage door guy putting in garage doors and electric company trenching line for underground electric line......but your house will really slow down now...i always heard that the first 80% of the house takes 20% of the time, and the last 20% of the house takes 80% of the time!.....hope u have already ordered your cabinets, picked out light fixtures/ceiling fans, counter tops, appliances and flooring....these decisions take awhile and the sooner u choose them the quicker you can proceed with the installation....our stainless steel appliances took 4 weeks to get here, and the cabinets took 3 weeks to make, the granite countertops took almost 3 weeks....the cultured marble vanity tops for the bathrooms take about 2 weeks...so order these things asap.....good luck!

<font color="red"> but your house will really slow down now </font color>

Oh thanks, just what I wanted to hear. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

They are making some good progress now. Heating ducts are almost all in, and about 90% of the plumbing roughins are done. Siding is all on. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [looks REAL nice] So things are moving. At least it LOOKS like its almost done. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Not to get to personal with ya, but i see in your profile your a machinest. I am a tool and die maker in Upstate NY. My hourly wage is above average for my area. There is no posible way i could afford a 4000 sq ft brand new home. What am i doing wrong? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] My wife is a stay at home day care provider and dang near brings home as much as i. Granted we have a 2000 sq ft ranch with 8 acers, but 4000 sq ft new home...not even in my dreams [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] If you dont want to reply to that i understand and respect that as well.
    Larry

hey.larry....actuallyiown a small industrial repair machine shop here just north of dallas....i have 4 guys working for me....we do strictly repair work / prototype parts only...no production work at all.....i send that out to the cnc shops around town....we do alot of gearbox rebuilding, making new gears, building up worn bearing surfaces on shafts, boring and sleving bearing housings and such....my top guy makes 18.50 an hr....
    we bought 13 1/2 acres of land 18 mi north of dallas (in denton) a coupla years ago and are finally building the house.....i shopped around for several builders and they all wanted way too much too build, and one of my neighbors where i am currently living works as a construction manager for one of the larger million dollar home builders here in n texas, and he built his house last year so i asked him if he'd be interested in helping me build mine.....he jumped at the opportunity to make a little cash on the side and promised me that as long as we used the same subs that build his big homes and i kept writing checks when he needed them, then i should be in the house in about 90-120 days...so far everything has worked out pretty good..