Thread: Snow Removal

Snow Removal

OK, this may sound like a tractor post but it's more than that. Just curious what everyone (not just the tractor crowd) does for snow removal. We'll have 750 of stone drive plus a large concrete apron off the garage. My current tool arsenal consists of a Craftsman lawn tractor with front mounted snowblower, compact tractor with front loader and 4X4 truck not to mention a very well worn snowshovel [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I figure my options are to use what I have (primarily the Craftsman and the tractor/loader), add a rear blade to my tractor, add a front or rear blower to my tractor or add a blade to my truck. We will live in SW Michigan with plenty of lake effect snow. So what do others do and what are the pros/cons? Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Re: Snow Removal

If you have a loadrer on your tractor already, it can do a pretty decent job of snow removal...we get quite a lot of snow some years and I have about 1500' of driveway to clear...every once in a while (like when it is snowing for the third straight day) I wish I had a backblade or plow which will do the job quicker, but like I said, a loader does a fine job, just takes a bit longer...its also helpful when you get really deep snow and you need to push the banks back further to make room for new snow.

Consensus probably is that front plows are most effecient, but I'd rather save the money and use what I already own. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rob,

Lets do the math. 200HP & 6,000 LBS vs 30HP & 2,500? LBS Which would you want to play tug of war against? The pickup will do a faster job of plowing the snow than your tractor.

However, carrying the plow around on the truck all winter will add wear and tear to your truck. I don' know how easy it is to attach/detach a truck plow. Also more money than a plow for the tractor (front or back) Once you set up the tractor for the winter (not too much grass to mow when it is snowing [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) You just start her up and go. The tractor is also more manuverable if you've got tight areas.

Plenty of posts on snow removal on tbn discussing pros and cons of blower vs. blade etc. Here is a recent one with good info. Compact Tractor for snow removal
    Hazmat

Our driveway is 800 foot gravel and we are in the snow belt of Upstate N.Y. We have a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a plow, 4300 Deere with a fel and a rear blade. I have not put the plow on the truck in the last two years and don't plan to do it this year unless we get a forecast for a large accumulation.

I did not use the back blade last year either. The FEL is the easiest to use for me and I do not want to drive around with the plow on the truck all the time.

Robs,

I agree with Hazmat and the other comments on the back blade vs a truck mtd unit. The back blade is probably the fastest at the end of the day since you don't need to take on/off between storms.

I use the back blade 6' straight and angled going fwd or bkwd, plus when reversed can push a decent size pile of snow. Usually a combination of the FEL and blade get it done the quickest.

Carl

Have to disagree with you and hazmat. I used a back blade and FEL for snow removal for a couple of years, then bought a 7 foot snow blower. With the FEL and blade I had to keep moving the same snow over and over to get it where I wanted it. With the snow blower I do it once and I am done with it. 55 PTO HP and 7' blower. Phil

Phil,

I agree that a large blower is the best tool to remove snow. Just a question of how much money you want to spend. Who knows, after a couple of seasons of the back blade, I may own one myself [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

I go along with Phil. I only have 400' of drive and with a Case garden tractor with a 54" blade it would take me 2 hours to push 12" of snow off it. My drive is sort of shaped like a "P" with nowhere to push snow in the circular part of it. With a snow blower (46" for my tractor) it takes about a half hour. With Phils set-up it would take about 10 minutes. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The nice thing about a blower is your not raking half the stone out of the lawn come spring.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]