Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champion Trees

Champion Trees

To just get this new forum off the ground I thought I'd toot my own horn here.

I have, on my property, the Champion White Ash Tree in the State of Maryland. Here are a few pictures of it. I have one with my wife and one with my daughter next to the base for reference:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

It was measured last summer and had the following measurements:

Circumference: 15' 9"
    Height: 113'
    Crown: 103'

Total Points: 327.75

Trees are awarded points - 1 pt for each inch in circumference, 1 pt for each foot in height, and 1/4 point for each foot in crown.

When I bought the property in January 2001, this tree had Wild Flora Rose bushes all around and underneath it. There were vines growing in the lower branches. I have sinced cleared all of those out, and would suspect that the tree is going to start getting even larger now that it has more air flow and not having to compete for water.

Here is the link to the Big Tree Champions of Maryland. This is a .PDF file, and the White Ash is located on Page 6. If you visit this webpage, you'll notice there are a few others right on my tail!
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Re: Champion Trees

Dude, that is one big tree!
    Now I understand Gatorboy by that hat. Go big blue! Ha. It should be a better game this year than in the past.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

My mom has a perfect specimen of a White Oak in her yard. About five years ago some guys from the USFS showed up and wanted the acorns from the tree. She was thrilled because they really cleaned up her yard taking leaves, limbs, everything away by the dump truck full. Several weeks later she was doubly surprised by a check in the mail paying for her acorns to the tune of 4 digits. They've been back every November since then, much to her fixed-income delight.

That is one beautiful tree, indeed.

I know this is sort of counter-point to such a living wonder, but during my many years as a custom millworker, white ash was one of my most favorite woods to work, because it challenges all of one's skills (and smells good too). My single most favorite-ever project was a display I made for a home show, kind of a show-off thing for our company. This was a bowed, triple-hung window, entirely out of white ash. Many challenges there beyond just the wood.

Where in MD is Fallston?

Let's hope for a better game -- but I hope the Gators still end up victorious [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Where in MD is Fallston?

Fallston is about 20-25 miles northeast of Baltimore. I've attached a map.

I bet that window looked beautiful. I love anything handmade out of wood.

Toot your own horn anytime you can with a beutifull specimen like that. Nice tree!

Congratulations on the tree championship! That's a very impressive tree.

Do you know if all states have this type of tree competition? I have a pretty big white oak. I'll sell the acorns for $10 a piece to anyone who's interested!

Well, Louisville just knocked off Florida State, soooo....

I believe each state has a list of Champion Trees -- though they may not be found online.

I'm a Florida Gator -- not a Florida State Seminole. So, needless to say, I am thrilled over the Louisville victory. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

All we have are a few Doug Firs and occasional Redwoods out here in Oregon.
    I think they have diameters upwards of 15 feet.