Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Golfing like getting hook on crack ?

Is Golfing like getting hook on crack ?

Not like you would find a crackhead on the golf course, but...

I think watching golf on tv is the best sleep aid known to man.
    With this said, I told a friend... someone that I thought was a friend (from out of state), that any idiot can hit a stupid little ball down the fairway. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    He responded with, Golf will humble even the greatest of men and this is "THE" game of games that you will love to hate.

Of course I laughed him... He sent me a beginners set and told me to prove him wrong... this was last month.
    I remember getting this set and directly walking outside... I believe it took me like 6 swings even to hit that stupid little ball and when I did make contact, the ball went completely in another direction from where I was standing.. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    I conceded that this idiot cannot hit that stupid ball [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I have since constructed a driving net out of a tree tarp and have played 3 - 9 hole games of golf and I'm hooked.

My very first game on any golf course, I shot a 61 and beat a friend that was having a terrible day, by 4 strokes.

My second game with another friend on a different course, I again shot a 61 and lost by 2 strokes, but only because I over shot the green @ 9th hole and the ball was went under a piece of greens equipment. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Otherwise I would have tied him or even won [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

My 3rd game I played horrible, a 64... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I am finding myself already looking to replace the k-mart special clubs for something that will allow me to learn to shoot rather than fighting the ball.

I've bought a new putter (after trying out about a dozen other styles, shapes and sizes), a nice V-Rod Mallet.
    I went to Dick's Sport and did the simulator thing and undoubtedly I need a new driver. The one I have is like half the size of the 460cc. I'm looking for something moderately priced used one. I'm looking at the Cobra M Speed.

The current driver is like where the hell is the sweet spot on this thing ? When I hit it straight in has no loft... when I have loft... I slice the hell out of the ball.. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Obviously I'm fighting these clubs...

I'm telling you, this game is worse than watching a crackhead going down to road of no return... and just as expensive... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    My so called friend from out of state ? I've renamed him as my golfing pimp and would you believe he is already talking smack..? Yea... He wants me to take a trip to the great northeast for the weekend so he can beat me at golf.. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Anyone else subjecting themselves to such self-torcher [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Is Golfing like getting hook on crack ?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My very first game on any golf course

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll probably never forget my very first game, for one simple reason. A friend was going to teach me to play, so he teed off first, and then I hit my ball off the tee with the driver. Now I'd been told to keep your eye on the ball so I was looking at the ball on the tee when I hit it, and I never saw it after that; had no idea whatsoever which direction or where that ball went. But my friend was standing behind me, exclaiming, "Beautiful shot, that's great!" And of course, I asked, "Where'd it go?" He said, "Straight down the middle of the fairway, way on past mine."

Well, fans, that was about 44 years ago and we haven't found that ball yet! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I have two younger brothers and they're both golfing fanatics; no good, but still play at least a couple of times a week. I usually go with them and play an 18 hole round 2 to 4 times a year.

Ohhhh I'm happy...

Yesterday my customized Top Flte Golf balls w/ company logo stamped on them arrived and last night I found and bought a cheap Wilson Sand Wedge (99 cents).
    I figured I need one and until I find the complete set I want, probably Cobra, this will do.... Aaaah.... getting my next fix [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

When I retired, co-workers gave me a set of golf clubs, bag, balls, etc. I later replaced the actual wooden "woods" with some cheap metal ones. Then one of my brothers bought a very expensive set of clubs and gave me his King Cobra "woods". I once loaned my clubs to a son-in-law and he lost the putter, so I have a different putter. And two years ago, I got a new bag for Christmas. But I still have the original Spalding Executive irons. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I got into one of those situations where it isn't convenient to extract ones self and keep the peace. A buisness partner was an avid golf nut. He insisted I play so I did. It was at San Diego Country Estates. I out drove he and his friends and immediately received a nickname of Magilla (from Magilla the Gorilla.) It was suggested I go to a driving range and get some practice for accuracy. I did and on the first bucket of balls was putting the little white pill just about anywhere I wanted at any range anyone else there could attain and often farther. By the bottom of the second bucket I was bored with nothing NEW to achieve so I started aiming at the only available moving target, the guy in the caged in ball retrieval machine. As he drove around picking up balls I would hit him with my drive about 1/2 or less of the time but got darned good at it before I ran out of ballls in the second bucket.

That was my last time at a driving range. After doing too good against my associate and his friends who all suddenly had a plethora of equipment and ball problems, old football injuries, and the like, it was suggested that I take lessons. My wife and I signed up for a class taught at UCSD (U of Cal At San Diego) and I learned zillions of things I was doing wrong, whole new categories of things to worry about instead of just whomping the ball or tapping it into the hole. Once I had all these worries to clutter my mind I couldn't have beat a blind multiple amputee at golf. I never really liked the game all that much as the majority of the folks I played around had too much ego at stake to have fun or let others have fun. I sold all my equipment at a garage sale and never missed it. Had I been in a different group it may have turned out differently but I don't seem to have unscheduled spare time that would send me out looking for another hobby.

It was explained to me that I had great natural tallent but no technical prowess so I could easily and quickly develop to a certain level but then my lack of technical correctness would limit me. Maybe if I'd had more fun I'd have been motivated to take the time and effort to learn the right way to do things.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I have enjoyed the sport of golfing Two Times. Both were company sponsered and dutifully attended.

I also went to a driving range once. There was no natural ability on my part and just hitting the ball was a major event. Several of my erant contacts seemed to find their way over a fence and into a residential area after which it was suggested that perhaps I try a different driving range.

My three exposures to golf. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have been out a couple times; it was interesting. I tend to go to the archery range next door to the golf course...

It's getting worse... [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Went golfing yesterday and today and I have shaved 9 stokes off my game a 63 to 54 yesterday and shot a 55 today on a new 9 hole course [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

At this rate, I'm going to need proffesional help [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Robert, Most excellent. I too prefer archery over golf. One of the things I will do WHEN I GET AROUND TO IT is put in an archery range on my place. I will construct it similar to a golf course with shooting positions instead of "tees" and targets in stead of pins and holes. The ranges to the target will vary and some shots will be uphill, some down, some level, and some optical illusions leaving you guessing. With some planning I should be able to rearrange the course without too much difficulty so as to not get stale and bored withhe same thing over and over.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Have you seen a Frisby golf course? I guess that's what they call it and they have one in a park here at Lake Lewisville. From what I've seen, it's apparently quite popular.