Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CQ CQ CQ

Church Road, VA 45 miles SOUTH of Richmond

CQ CQ CQ

Any ham radio operators around [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] KE4MBN here.
    Church Road, VA
    See some pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/vamangano

Re: CQ CQ CQ

I quit half way through the course. To get your basic qualification license in Canada (which entitles you to access all amateur bands above 30Mhz; use a maximum of 250W DC input power, and build your own equipment except for transmitters) it's recommended to take a course first. It covered a lot of electronics stuff (inducters, capacitors, etc.) and very little about modern radio equipment, its selection, and use. I quickly lost interest.

I have a license but haven't been active for years. I've just had too many other things going on. I do plan to get active again someday though! When I was active, I enjoyed sending and receiving morse code more than talking. I think part of the reason is because my father helped learn morse code. He was a Chief Signalman in the Navy and he used to help me practice when I was learning. It's one of my fondest memories of my late father.

-. ....- .. -- ---

KE4MBN de WA1ZPD. Original call was WA1LTO, if I remember right, I got that in 1967. Can't remember when I got the ZPD call, must be sometime during the last century. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

<font color="blue"> I have a license but haven't been active for years. </font color>

Me too, Mosey [KE3VB here]. I also enjoyed CW more than anything. Once we get settled in AZ next year, I hope to start operating again.

I was active years ago. I have kept my license current because it was so hard to get. I have forgotten my morse code. I had to look up my call sign below. I'd love to get back at it again. May be when I retire.
    David
    -.- .- .---- .--- -. -.-

KE4MBN de WØGOM

Did you particpate in Field Day?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I am active still... KD5ILS, clear.

<font color="blue"> I have forgotten my morse code. </font color>

You would be surprised how it sticks with you, like learning to ride a bicycle.

My wife's (police) department uses a rapid (30 wpm?) code identifier to satisfy the FCC for identifying a station every 30 minutes. When I listen to the scanner on her freq, I find now that I can pick up the code easily, whereas when I was learning for my exams, I had a very hard time keeping up with its speed.

Church Road, VA 45 miles SOUTH of Richmond

Nope sure didn't! I need to really get on the ball and listen to my code tapes. 2 mtr SSB is really slow and that is where I spend most of my time.
    Church Road, VA
    See some pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/vamangano