Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CQ CQ CQ

Re: CQ CQ CQ

WA2DCP, Living in 3 land currently only active on 2 mtrs but since we moved into our new farm plans are in the works to start growing antennas and break out the old Collins S Line and enjoy HF work again.
    Don

Paul, my Dad was a ham as long as I can remember. Before WWII he was W8KBW (that was NY then) and after the war W2RGM. He really didn't do too much after the war, and I was always going to get into it myself. But I never had the time or money, so it seemed, and now that I'm retired, I seem to have less of both. It's a great hobby, and if you try it, maybe I'll still do it. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#666666"> Duane </font color>

I am not, but my Grandfather was for years and years and years. I do not know what his call letters were. When he got sick, much stuff was moved to storage. He had boxes and boxes of call cards from the world over. They got wet, and could not be saved. It was very sad.

He was on the radio with Pearl City when Pearl Harbor was attacked in '41. They were talking, when he heard explosions in the background. The guy ran outside, saw what was happening, came in told my Grandfather, and then signed off. My Grandmother remembered it vividly. She walked into the Ham room with breakfast and coffee a few minutes later. She said the look on his face was soooo somber. He said "Ma, we're at war; the Japanese are bombing Pearl Harbor".

He stayed on radio till the mid-70's, and he had a stroke. He was "The Ole Texas Cowpoke" both on Ham and CB, although CB was a totally different world before "Convoy". It's funny, 'cause I don't think he was ever to Texas. I just talked to my Mom; She said he was "W6TCP" on Ham, and KLA1624 on CB.

It's funny, 'cause I was the only one in the family to get into electronics, but never got on the radio. Sadly, noone esle did either. My Uncles still have his old tube radios and transmitters. One uncle does have other radios, and is a Ham, but is not very active.

It's good to hear you guys are on the air though. I always thought it would be fun!

RobertN, Thanks for sharing. That story about Pearl is precious. That should have been in the movies like the scene with the female instructor pilot and her student in Tora Tora Tora.

It isn't too late to pick up the fallen banner and carry on the tradition.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I think my login name says it all

carl

I have thought about it. But, since getting into TBN, and here, and YTmag, plus kid and family stuff, I don't think I will do it any time soon. It is a pretty cool hobby though!

KA1JNK

Haven't been active for years. Kept my license current though. I hope to get back into it again someday.

David in NH

KC4KAN here ....Got a FT-857 HF and 3 2 meter mobiles and 2 Handhelds Why dont we get on 80 meter some night? I am trying to help our fire dept with airmail and winlink......Finding out how dumb I am Ha

De N4DMS Tombstone

I actually took the carton off the storage shelf where my Drake 7 tranceiver has been languishing for 6 years. I hope to open the carton real soon now. If I can find the power supply I may be able to fire it up.

Pat (N6AYR, General class)
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"