Thread: weight capacities, rating vs actual

weight capacities, rating vs actual

I'm confused about just how much weight a pickup or trailer can really hold.

I have a 1/2 ton pickup and have had 1700lbs of sand in it and it handled it just fine.

I have a 6'x10' tilt bed trailer that has a 3500lb axle and 15" wheels. I got the trailer itself weighed and it weighs 800lbs. I used it to get some sand and I put over 3000lbs of sand in it. It barely settled the springs, about 1". The axle was still straight (maybe a very slight bow to it, but not much if any). It didn't take much sand by volume to get 3000lbs of sand, so the trailer has room for much more, easily twice that volume.

I'm guessing the ratings are very conservative for safety reasons. How much can I get away with going over the ratings? I'm going to be hauling some more sand and some gravel in the next few weeks. I'm only hauling this stuff about 20 miles and I take back roads and stay under 45 MPH.

Re: weight capacities, rating vs actual

I will not tell you that I have never over loaded a truck or trailer but it is not a good idea. A friend of mine had all sorts of trouble when he had an accident pulling an over weight trailer. He got a ticket for$100 but worse the other guy caused the accident but the insurance companies agreed that the over weight trailer did not allow for "complete" control of his vehicle. He had to pay his deductible and pay the increase in rates.

Mosey,

I looked into this some time a go in detail. So here is what I found:

For the truck you have two ratings to consider: Gross combined weight rating (GCWR), Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.
    You should be able get these numbers from the sticker on the inside edge of the drivers door frame.
    The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maxiumum weight incluing the trucks weight, you, fuel, and any load.
    The GCWR is the truck and all the above load plus any trailer weight. This must inlcude the trailer and any load on the trailer as well.

So my truck for example has a GVWR of 8800 lbs since its a diesel F250. Its GCWR is 20,000 lbs. The truck normally weights just over 6500 lbs. So I can legally carry the difference or approximately 1 ton.
    So I take the GCWR minus the truck weight which gives me about ~13,000 lbs for the max trailer weight. But the catch is that the trailer must not put so much load on the truck that it is over the GVWR rating.
    Similar type of analysis aplys for the trailer. 3500 lbs minus the 800 lbs is your legal limit.

Now you can haul more than these numbers and likely not damage the truck or trailer. But its against the law. Also if you are involved in a wreck, even if its not your fault, the insurance comany could take you to task for "over loading" your vehicle. Some slick lawyer might try to make the whole thing look like your fault due to your "wreckless" overloading.....you get the idea.

Fred

Well put Phred! and excellent choice of truck I might add. I don't have much experience pulling single axle trailers with loads but I'd seriously fear jack-knifing with I assume no trailer brakes. I won't tow more than 3 tons on a dual axle bumper pull without trailer brakes and that's with a dually. It's all about stopping power in my opinion.

Mosey, Just in case it isn't toooooo late to chime in. There is also gross axle weights to consider. GVWR is less than the combined gross axle weights (front + rear). Actually tongue weight adds to rear axle load of the tow vehicle (with a standard hitch, not weight equalizing, it takes weight off of the front axle.)

Please do not overload too much too often, you'd be missed.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"