Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf carts rule on the farm

Re: Golf carts rule on the farm

Not much ground clearance, 6 inches or so, unless you do the lift kit and big tires so boulders could be a problem. I've been surprised with its ability in mud. With all the rain lately there's been several occasions lately when I've felt it sinking down and getting squirrly but have yet to get stuck. Canopy is sure nice when there's chores to do in the rain also.

Really the rocks aren't boulders - they are 6" to 12" in diameter, various sizes and shapes. Basically rip rap. I put them in the creek bed hoping they wouldn't wash away. But 6" of clearance probably wouldn't work.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Well, this sure sounds like a less expensive option than a Gator, Mule or Ranger especailly since there are none available very often that are used. And even the EZ-Go workhorse is from about $5000 to $7000. And the electric power seems to be the way to go for a utility farm vehicle, but what i'm wondering is.....how much does one miss the 4-wheel drive? What kind of traction? How are they on moderately steep terrain?
    check this attachment.....you guys think one would work here?

Did you ever get it filled up with water? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I don't think they are an option in my opinion at all. We had one way back that I bought for a cheap price when we were first getting started. It was pretty much destroyed in a year of doing the work I do with the Mule and Gator. My neighbors have one and they are ok for hauling some stuff around and going from point a to point b but they are not going to do the work that a gator, mule, ranger, etc. will do. You can't carry near as much, you don't have the stability, horsepower, torque, etc., etc.

I agree with cowboydoc. Unless you just want to use a golf cart for toodling around I would not spend my money on one. I have used one at work for twelve years and my opinion is that electric carts are high maintenence and not very durable. I especially question the durability of a golf cart on rough terrain. Let's face it, golf carts are made for driving on smooth, flat surfaces and the lumps and bumps and such that you are bound to drive over on any piece of property will take a toll on the the suspension.

You can carry light loads on the "truck" looking carts but unless you are under five feet tall your knees will be cramped for room. We had the truck style cart at work for a couple of years but hated it and asked for a regular style cart.

As far a canopy is concerned I find it does very little from keeping you from getting wet. If you decide to go with a golf cart I would suggest adding a windshield and a weather break, or whatever you call it. What I am talking about is a plastic "cab" which surrounds the passenger area and has clear plastic windows and zippered doors on either side. If you add both of the above you will stay dry. Otherwise, don't expect a canopy to do much to keep you dry in more than a drizzle.

If I wanted a utility vehicle for anything more than transportation I would buy a mule or something along that lines.

SmokeyMtnMan: A golf cart will go up and down relatively steep hills but it takes a lot of energy to do it and runs the batteries down faster.
    Chris

Check out Lincoln Golf Car; they have information on lift kits, speed and torque tweaks, and other stuff that would be helpful since you already own the cart (rather than suggesting you buy something else).

I was kind of thinking along those lines of what cowboydoc says about the value of using them as a work vehicle. I have a Kubota 4610 cab tractor and of course use it where i dont' want to take the 4wd Ford truck, but i have lots of woods, very steep, a lot of thickets. And i think if I'm going to play Indana Jones here. I need something a little more maneuverable than my tractor. And after two months of checking classifed ads in my area, it seems everyone who gets a Gator or a Mule ends up keeping them. They're very rare and hard to find used. I just don't have the 9 or 10K to get a new one now.

It won't do the work of a Gator but my Cub tractor fills that niche. It does the work I used to use mountain bikes and wheelbarrows for. It travels my paths and carrys my occasionals, saving my legs and back. I tow a small trailer, manure & fertilizer spreaders, and haul sacks of feed here and there. Only real problem I've had in hauling is that I had to re-engineer the self-adjusting brake mechanism because stopping larger loads tended to cause the brakes to adjust too tight. My fences and pastures get checked and maintained more often, my catfish get fed more regularly, and lately hunting and poaching trespassers get surprised day and night by something they can't even hear coming. Its always at my back door with the key in it ready to go in a split second and I don't loose sleep about it "disappearing" as I would a Gator. If a horse chews a hole in the seat or the kids want to paint flames down the side, so what, not a capital investment. I don't have rocks but I do have terrain and it travels it all leaving very little footprint and for that reason I'm not even gonna bother to install knobby tires or any lift on it. I can't imagine what would destroy one unless you crashed it? If I ever do I'll have another before the next moon.

That is a fine looking vista there MtnMan. I consider anything less than five acres a pond and greater than five a lake. Hard to tell the scale in a shot like that snuggled in the mountains but I'm guessing that's a lake?

You can get into a less than 100 hour Gator 4x2 for around $5k here. I paid $7400 brand new with alot of options for my 6x4. The Mule that I bought was a 4x2, used, with about 280 hours for $3500.