Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table Saws

Re: Table Saws

When I first got in to boat building, the first thing I know I needed was a table saw.[oh, and clamps, but thats a whole nother can of worms] I did not have much money to spend, so I just went out and got one of those cheep Skill 10" table saws. You know, that thing does a good job. The fence is a little cheezy, but you can get a good cut if you spend the time to set it up. And it was only about $100! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I plan to build a simple cabnet for it when I move to the new house, and get one of the better aftermarket fences, then just saw till it dies.
    Paul Bradway

Grizzly 5 hp cabinet saw, great machine with a reasonable price. I vote for the carbide stackable dado blades also. Takes less than 5 minutes, to switch blades and inserts, then check/adjust for square and depth of cut.

Ontonagon County, Upper penninsula of Michigan

I also have a Grizzly, model 1022, and find it to be a well made saw that is very acurate, easly setup and that it holds alignment well. For someone who is thinking about buying a table saw I would offer the following advise. You need to check carefully when buying a saw as you will most likely have it for a long time. If it is inacurate, hard to set up, and difficult to use you will not be satisfied with the results and will find reasons not to use it. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that you need to buy an expensive saw. You do need to ask yourself exactly what you intend to do with a table saw. If you intend to use it strickly for framing and construction proposes then almost any saw will serve the purpose. If you are interested in more refined work then the best thing you can do is to check back issues of almost any of the woodworking magazines on the market as most magazines run artcles on tools tests from time to time. Just remember, cost is NOT the best indicator of the quailty of the saw.

As for dade saw blades, you will find that there are basicily two types, wobbly and stackable. The wobblies are blades that are mounted on center hubs that allow the blades to be angled off center to achieve a varying width cuts. The stackables are just that, two seperate blades with chippers stacked between them to obtain the desired width of cut.The stackable blades are usually easier to adjust and make a finer cut then the wobllies. As for which brands, you will find a large selection of manufacturers and prices on the market each claiming to be the best. The truth is (and the same goes for regular saw blades)that no matter which one you buy at some time it will have to have it sharpened. The saw sharpener doesn't care who made it, he is going to get a set price for sharpening it, usually based on the diameter of the blade plus number of teeth. At this point the quality of the cut you will get will be entirely dependant on the skill of the saw sharpener, not who made it. While we are on the subject of sharpening saw blades, buy carbide tipped blades. You will find that the cost of sharpening a blade nearly rivals the cost of buying an inexpensive new blade. Carbide tipped blades will last considerably longer then steel tooth blades before they need sharpening.