Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table Saws

Table Saws

This looks like a forum in need of a post so here goes...

What type of table saws do folks have?
    Dato heads?

I have a ryobi all in one setup that is a table saw and a router table built in. I have had it for a couple of year and it works pretty well. The fence is better than many I have examined in that it is pretty precise. Some of the cheap machines have very sloppy fences.

I would like to add a dato head. Any recommendations? Also how much trouble is it to take off and adjust, etc...

Fred

Re: Table Saws

For 22 years in a custom mill, we always used Delta Unisaws for utility work. They are not cheap, but by no means the most expensive, either (used to be around $1500). They can be fitted with different kinds of aftermarket fences that are quite accurate. You can work one of these saws all day long with no problems.

We also had a 15HP 3 phase rip saw for dealing with thicker hardwoods. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

We always used the stacked type dado cutters rather than the adjustable. For "in between" sizes (anything less than the 1/32" chipper) I'd stick a piece or two of sandpaper into the set.

Also, if you plan to dado much plywood or any veneered material, carbide-tipped dados are the only way to go.

I owned a 12 inch Craftsman for 10+ years. Worked fairly well. Outfitted it with a Biesmeyer fence after 4 years. This definitely improved its performance. Traded it to a contractor for some work on my house and bought a Powermatic 66. I wanted a beefier saw/motor for working with hardwoods plus a true cabinet saw for sawdust collection. I really like the Powermatic; very smooth. I've got a wide table plus a flip up extension for an extra 3 ft length. I moved last year so it's in storage until my shop is built. I bought a used sliding table saw attachment from a friend who owns a custom cabinet business. Now he's got a beautiful saw; a Felder; sliding table, shaper combination; but $$$. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

I prefer the stacked units although the adjustables are fine for rough cutting. I own a Freud for general use and a Forrest for furniture use. Definently purchase the carbide tipped ones.

<font color="blue"> Powermatic 66 </font color>

Another very fine table saw, a bit more pricey than the Unisaw if I remember??

Not sure why our shop went with the Unisaws over the Powermatic, because all of our shapers and jointers were Powermatics.

<font color="blue">plus a true cabinet saw for sawdust collection. </font color>

Our shop kept anywhere from 6-16 cats as permanent residents.

The table saw cabinet was a favorite litter box; this surprised many first time people coming in for free sawdust [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Freud makes a real nice stacked dado set. It does a good job both on plywood and on hardwoods. Keep it sharp and it will do a good job for a long time.

I've used Freud dados on my Delta Contractor's saw for almost fifteen years now and have been really satisfied with the results. If I was buying a saw today, I'd look closely at the Powermatic TA series or Unisaw. My main reason for looking at these saws would be power. The 1 1/2 hp motor on the contractors saw sometimes complains when I am ripping thick pieces of hardwood.

Here's one of the more unusual jobs I did in my past. It's a raised panel, drop ceiling. It's out in the parking lot because to get it into the house, it had to be made in four L-shaped sections. I had it out there to assemble and sand the dry joints. Approximately 18 ft x 24 ft. The one corner with no panelling was open for a spiral staircase to pass through.

Very nice. Did you ever get a photo of the completed, finished job? Did you also make any crown nolding for it? Is it oak? I cannot tell.