Thread: Using pine straw for erosion control

Using pine straw for erosion control

I have a new house built on sandy soil. It's in the country and I don't want to bother with a lawn and the attendant maintenance. I am considering using pine straw in large amounts to 1)hold the soil and 2)provide a pleasing background to shrub and flower plantings. My question is this: In an area like our's with very active termites, will they be attracted to the pine straw and the soil underneath and create a real problem for me? Thanks for your advice.
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28

Re: Using pine straw for erosion control

I think you may have a problem with weeds. This will make a great mulch and hold in moisture which will cause all sorts of seeds to sprout. This happens with pine bark chips and other types of ground cover. You can fight this with landscape cloth. But the funny thing is that the mulch will eventually start to decompose and then it will grow weeds on top of the landscape cloth! So you will likely need to hit it with roundup from time to time.

What about ivy? A friend had a house that the front yard was largely ivy. No cutting required and chokes out the weeds.

Fred

Re: Using pine straw for erosion control

Have you considered a shortgrass praire/ wildflower mix. It's grass but you don't have to mow it.

Egon