Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male Cooks

Male Cooks

So how many of you guys out there cook? I'm not talking about just occasionally throwing a thick, juicy hunk of meat on the grill, but about spending time in the kitchen preparing food. I do most of the cooking in our house because a) I get home first, and b) I enjoy it more than my wife does. Anyone else out there? Or am I a deviant? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Of course now that I have a tractor the meals have become simpler and quicker to prepare. Imagine that.

Re: Male Cooks

I'm the cook in my house. 1) because my wife hates to. 2) because I really enjoy it. 3) because the feedback inidcates that I'm pretty good at it. 4) My wife could burn water and having her in front of the stove scares me.

Also, there's the same draw (for me anyway) to kitchen tools, utensils, and machines that I get from tools and machines in the garage. I buy high quality cookware - some stuff second hand from the local restaurant supply store. I buy my knives from a commercial butcher supplier. It's more expensive up front than the stuff you get at the department store, but I intend to never have to replace it.

I do a great deal of the cooking in our house, for some of the same reasons already mentioned! I find it a good stress reliever also! I do have a question: we have recently purchased a turkey fryer and I am needing recipes and advice on how to fry a turkey.
    Thanks!

I used to be the primary cook before the tractor came home [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . Now it is about 50/50. If I may toot my own horn, I think I am better at it.

Like Paul, the kitchen gadgets are as much fun as the tractor gadgets. Maybe its just a gadget thing. I had lots of fun registering for our wedding, hmmm gadgets for me, somebody else pays [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Another draw for me is I despise doing the dishes. Our rule is the cook don't have to clean.
    Hazmat

I have to admit to a certain fondness for gadgets (can't believe some of the things I've bought and tossed - garlic peeler? shrimp deveiner?), but nothing can take the place of my chef's knife and trusty steel. Which brings up a pet peeve. Why don't some people (my sister and mother, to name two) keep their blades sharp? Is it a gender thing? Am I stepping in it here? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I was raised in a restaurant so you better believe that I can cook. The problem was that early in our marriage I found out that my wife liked a neat kitchen. I sure can cook but neat I am not.

We now have a very large kitchen so the two of us can work together and prepare a special meal for company. I just make a mess on my side and clean up before the guests arrive. It still bothers her but she likes the help.

For tonight I did the main course and Jane did the salads and the desserts. I will always let her do the baking. She makes the best pies, cakes and etc.

<font color="blue"> Why don't some people (my sister and mother, to name two) keep their blades sharp? </font color>

My peeve as well!! At the risk of offending anyone, (like my wife if she reads this), I think it might be a gender thing too [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wife and I keep vastly different schedules, and we married in our 40's, so we were each used to taking care for ourselves, so we each cook mostly for ourselves. We share many things we cook, but don't usually eat at the same time.

I like good knives (Wusthof...sp??) and other gadgets. It is my onus to keep the knives in good shape. My favorite tool for this is a Chef's Choice electric sharpener. I used to use a steel, but that only works if they stay relatively sharp most of the time and you can use the steel to keep them touched up.

Because of my wife's "style" of cooking, we have had to disable the smoke detector in the kitchen area [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

Our new house in AZ, currently being built, will have "miles" of granite countertops, so we can each do our thing.

Yeah, you're stepping in it, but it's everywhere and eventually we all will.

My mother is petrified of sharp knives. I have tried to explain that a dull one is more dangerous - won't hear it. You know, I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than a man sharpen a knife. I give mine about three or 4 whacks on the steel before every use.

I don't care who makes the knife, as long as it says "Victorinox" on the blade.

I am the chief cook in our house. Turns out I am better at it than my wife. So it has become my chore though I don't mind it.

Last winter we installed the wood cookstove shown in the attachment. Today I fired it up for the first time since last season.
    Made sausage, spinach and cheese calzones. For some reason the cookstove makes the best bread products. So the calzones
    came out wonderful. I do like cooking in/on it.

Everyone mentioned gadgets - my favorite?? A flour wand. It is a spring on the end of a spring loaded handle. You compress the handle which opens the spring on the end. Stick it in the flour to fill the spring. Now gently shake it over your rolling area prior to rolling out dough. Works great.

Phil

Forgot the pic.