Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Male Cooks

Re: Male Cooks

Nice stove. Those aren't cheap up here if you buy them already refurbished.

Ever so slightly off topic, there was a butcher shop auction here this week. The guy was going out of business and figured he'd do well at auction. Not so. He was almost crying by the end. A meat slicer went for 180$. Another one - digital with built in scale and wrapper went for 600. There was a 14' refrigerated display case with a stainless counter top that nobody wanted - the bidding went as low as 25$. My father picked up a meat tenderizer for 220. All of the above prices were in CDN$.

Nice dentil crown molding, too.

Hank,
    The guy who lived here built the place himself. A very skilled builder/craftsman/woodworker. He did a lot of interesting stuff like a curved hallway including wainscotting with a plate rail - that leads to the laundry room in the basement. There is a built in handmade bar. I think he just like to work with wood.

But while he was great at building he wasn't so great at the other things like elctric and plumbing. Whole place was wired with hot and grounds reversed. Upstairs bath had hot and cold taps backwards. one wall switch controlled 8 spot lights, 2 lamp posts and 8 exterior light fixtures - whew.

But we love it here.

Phil

Like the others, I do most of the "real cooking" in our house. I love to eat, love good food, love the gadgets and tools in the kitchen and enjoy the process of making something with my hands/mind. The routine "utility" cooking is a chore shared between my wife and I and neither of us enjoy just throwing something together after a long day [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

My wife and I share the cooking in our house but I think I get the better end of the spoon as she does the suppers after the workdays and I handle the weekends and entertaining with company meals. We both get extra enjoyment from sharing meals with friends from things we've raised such as chickens,pheasants or garden produce or game or fish we've harvested. Seems to bring that "closer to nature" feeling which to us is part of the country experience. A little homemade wine or brew to top it off and it just doesn't get any better. I have to agree with the attraction to kitchen gadgets, I think its just a tools is tools thing wether in the work shop, garden or kitchen.

Like others, I am the primary cook in our house and always have been. My wife is a good cook but it is work to her. For me it is fun and stress relief. It must have had a positive impact on our three daughters though... the oldest got a BS degree in restaraunt management, the second got a BS in Baking & Pastry Arts, and the youngest is studying anthropology. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] But she comes home from college regularly to eat my cooking[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img].

I make bread every week, always a big bag of home-made meatballs in the freezer, and I LOVE NY cheescake. My christmas list always has lots of tools on it... either for the kitchen or the workshop.

I agree with you, a dull knife is alot more dangerous then a sharp one. I always get the honor of keeping the knives sharp and I have tried to show my wife how to use a steel but she just hands it back to me. Now I have a ?, when sliceing vegies or potatoes, how do you keep the critters from sticking to the blade. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Wish I knew. My solution is to just not look at that side of the blade - let 'em pile up and get pushed off on their own.

My wife cooks French, Italian and Pacific NW cuisine. I cook Thai and Vietnamese. I also cook fish stews and soups from Singapore.
    In other words, we each cook a lot but we specialize in different recipes.

I have to admit that I have developed the reputation as the Galloping Gormet' because I travel a lot and cook on the road when the weather allows.

I have just finished building my house and designed my large kitchen to my specs.. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It's been a couple yrs since I've had the "Luxury" of being able to cook a fine meal, but I assure you as soon as everything is unpacked, I'll be spending some time sharpening my knives and seeing how often I can set off the dual smoke alarms... [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]