Thread: Help! Sick ash trees

Help! Sick ash trees

I planted three 8' ashes last fall, and they took off great.

Last night, I noticed that most of the leaves have small (1/2" around) crispy dark brown areas/spots that just don't look quite right. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Most of these brown circles are on the outer edge of the leaves. On the underside of the leaves, I see hundreds of tiny little black dots. That can't be normal!

So, what's the best way to treat this? Is that likely to be some kind of bug, a fungus, or something else (e.g., aliens)? Do my trees have West Nile? If they're bugs, will Sevin do the trick? If they're something else, what would you recommend?

In case you're thinking about the obvious diagnosis, I already know that leaves of most trees are supposed to turn brown and fall off in fall, but this looks like something different. Honest. Any advice?

Re: Help! Sick ash trees

Illiniwek - Emerald Ash Borer??? [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I'm in S.E. MI and our ashes are taking a beating by this new bug. It was finally identified within the past few months. There is even a quarantine on moving any of the ash wood out of a number of counties in S.E. MI. Many municipalities are loosing trees in huge numbers. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Check with your county extension office and do a search on the Emerald Ash Borer. It's not a good picture. Here is a link to the MI Dept. of Agriculture. MDA

Hopefully it's not your problem, but if it is you want to get on it quickly. Chuck