Thread: Help me decide on our driveway

Help me decide on our driveway

We just finished our house and need to get rid of the mud in front and fix up our 2,000 feet driveway through the forrest. We got two offers from two road guys:

Bid 1) Grade, make ditches and install few culverts to take care of the drainage, haul 30 truck loads of 4" crushed rock and top with 20 loads of 1-2" rock mixed with dirt. $7,000.

Bid 2) No grading, build up 18" with lower grade mixture of big rocks, small rocks and dirt. Building up 18" would provide for the drainage ditches (he says). $5,000.

Re: Help me decide on our driveway

If the guy who will do the grading is going to remove the topsoil go with him for sure. Putting stone/dirt down on top of existing topsoil (organic matter) will only create future problems for you. The best road will be built up from sub-soil to a level above the surrounding soil with appropriate crown, ditching etc. for drainage [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Unfortunately, non of them was going to remove the old mud. I also looked into Typar but it is too expensive.

What are the existing soil contions like? When you say mud what type and how deep? By truck loads does the contractor mean 10 yard loads or??

Egon

It is No Idaho, and I am pretty much in the forrest. The soil is not hard and when stirred by construction it is exposed. The problem is the drainage, so the ditches are very important.

The first guy can haul 12 yards in a truckload and charges me $100. The other guy hauls 10 yards and will charge me $70 as the rock is free but the drive is longer.

I got about 2 weeks to make decision.

As the drainage is important the ditches and culverts seem to be required.

Think I'd go with the first contractor.

Sounds like he ends up hauling in one yard of material for about every four feet. Sound's like this would make a base exspecially if the rock has lots of rough edges.

Egon

Hi Idaho04 ,
    I know what you mean about the mud . I have a place south of you abit . It is also in the forest . I am going to have to completely rebuild our road this summer to our new place . I use to rebuild roads for a living . Anyway, I am looking at reestablishing the drainage ditches and installing drainage "getaways" as needed .I am planning on laying down 4" plus angular crushed rock as a base and a 1 1/2" angular crushed rock with fines as a finish .The 4" will help to bridge the soft stops . You may still need to remove the top soil some to get a good sub base to start with . Make sure you have a decent crown on the road . Standing water on a gravel roadway will deteriorate it quickly . Have them roll the gravel when finished and this will help lock the rock in place . Don't let anyone talk you into "round river rock" for the base ! It will just move around and never give you a solid base .
    Good Luck,
    Big Al