Thread: Online source for Stihl replacement chains?

Online source for Stihl replacement chains?

Anyone have a recommended on-line (discount?) seller of stihl chains? I just bought a new one for my 18" 026 for about $23 and change; thinking it should be possible to do better than that. Are there other manufacturers that make compatible chains?

Re: Online source for Stihl replacement chains?

The chains are not specific to one brand of saw. Lots of different suppliers out there. Lots of different types of chain. You could even buy your own roll of chain and make new ones as required.

Egon

The one thing that makes the Stihl chains more expensive is their anti-kickback and binding design. I have never in my life, and I've cut alot of wood, had a Stihl chain cause a kickback. Personally I wouldn't buy anything but Stihl due to this feature alone. I know others probably have some of the features but a few bucks more for a proven design is worth it to me.

Stihl doesn't allow their machines to be sold online. They want you to deal with the local dealer. I don't know about accessories, such as chains but I suspect it is the same. I bought a chain for my 026 for at Lumber 84 which is part of Fox building supply for almost $17.00 for a 16" bar.

Gary

>>Stihl doesn't allow their machines to be sold online.

Now that explains why I didn't have much luck coming up with an "online" dealer...oh well.

Baileys sells Oregon chain (among others) that they claim is for Stihl saws and is low kickback.

You can buy the Stihl chains without the anti-kickback feature,they are pretty expensive too. The ones without the anti-kickback feature are a much more aggressive chain(I buy these). The inertia on the Stihl chainsaw brakes on my models work very well.
    The smaller the tooth size on a chainsaw chain the more they cost because they have more links(that is what my dealer told me)

I believe Oregon chains are a pretty good chain,I was told buy some guys who are professional loggers.