Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Reinforced Concrete

Re: Fiber Reinforced Concrete

They now make these two part paints for concrete that are either epoxy or perhaps polyurethane. The come with color flakes that are sprinkled on to to make it pretty. I felt that the paint would provide a smoother, non-dusting surface that would be easier to maintain.
    This is the stuff I've seen at True Value:
    http://www.paintideas.com/product_in...57&FLT=~0~
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary,

You may be right that if the paint did not chip off it would be smooth and easy to maintain. Maybe you could get the same effect from a thick coating of clear sealer. That way if it wears off in places you won't be able to tell.

I have seen to many painted concrete pads that look terrible due to wear. The old paints never seemed to stick well enough. Perhaps the new stuff is better.

Fred

You can also get the epoxy based coatings at Home Depot. Word of warning. They can be a bit slippery. I went up on a porch that had been epoxy coated. With an inch of snow on it, I slid from one side, right off the other. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] But, I think you can add fine grit for traction. Of course, that negates the advantage of a smooth floor when it comes to cleaning up oil spills. On the other hand, it might keep that oil spill from cracking your noggin.

SHF

The contractor plans to pour footing for the new house on Friday or Monday, so I guess it's time to figure out if I want fiber reinforcement or not.

I'm leaning toward fiber for the garage, but not in the workshop.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

My fibered concrete cracked. On the other hand, I've seen re-bar reinforced concrete crack, too. Maybe the solution is to go with rebar reinforced fibered concrete?

SHF

Just started to post so sorry so late in response on the dates.

But i got to say if concrete cracks than the base is unstable. I can show you very large pours of concrete that hasn't cacked in over 20 years.

It is simple the secret is in the base.

Example:
    1) 24X24 Garage poured in 1964 no cracks.
    2) 30X40 Basement floor poured in 1965 no cracks, and not 1 control joint but 4 floor drains.
    Jon

New to country and loving it.

Don't think it's QUITE that simplistic but I agree 100% a sound, compacted and non settling base is very important. The mix, cure rate, and water retention is also as important. You could pour concrete over concrete but if you do it in 90 deg weather, direct sun and don't keep things damp you're going to get shrink cracks and a crumbly concrete that isn't going to hold up well. Concrete's pretty amazing stuff when you consider the Roman aquaducts are still around and we can't stop a garage floor from cracking sometimes!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (PS What's the second most consumed product in the world?? Yup, concrete, water's # 1)

I did my garage floor with "FRC" last summer. There are NO cracks in it and I DO NOT have any expansion joints!! The finish can be anything you want. I had mine done with a "light" power trowel. I have a "light" sandy finish. Great for traction yet doesn't hold the dirt. Easy sweeping. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Basically there are two kinds of large pours of concrete, those that have cracked and those that are going to crack.

Fibers help control/reduce cosmetic cracking but do not, no matter what you may have heard. replace rebar.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Only time will tell. I'm sure eventually that some may appear. But, so far we are good as gold. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]