Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Truck Daytime Running Lights

GM Truck Daytime Running Lights

I can't help to notice the number of failed front running lights on all the GM SUV's Tahoe/Yukon as well Silverado/Sierra series trucks.

On a typical day I see 2 out of 4 vehicles with these out. At first I thought it might be by design like the brighter rear tail light when running the fog lamps to run only one lamp..

Anyone else seen/experienced this?

Carl

Re: GM Truck Daytime Running Lights

Perhaps the Day Time Running Light module has failed and been disconnected.

Egon

Southwest Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh

It might be due to the manufacture year/country. Some GM pup's and suv's were put together in Canada, others in the States. The Canadian ones required DRL's before the stateside ones did. I found this out when I bought a 97 Silverado new that didn't have them, but noticed other 97's did. That's when a friend who's a service manager told me mine was made in the States. I'm not sure what year it was mandated for the stateside produced ones. Now on my '02 HD2500 Silverado, I can turn the DRL's off if I want.

Rocky & Egon,

I should have stated these are one eyed DRL's on these GM's and almost all are the new style round lamps 2001/2002 I believe.

Carl

Sure wish I could do that with my truck. The module costs $125. Can. and without it the high/low beam indicator doesn't work.
    Egon

I have a '99 Silverado PU and the left one is burnt out. Just about every other one I see, it's the same thing. Someone told me it was from heat build-up. I <font color="red"> just know </font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] that Generous Motors is going to hit us with a recall. Yeah Right!!!
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> I should have stated these are one eyed DRL's on these GM's and almost all are the new style round lamps 2001/2002 I believe</font color>

Carl, I concur, I have seen quite a few one-eyes on the late models. I have one of these (2002 Suburban); when they fail, they will not be replaced, since they are independent of the actual headlights [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

I had one burn out on my 99 GMC Sierra. When I had it replaced at my local garage, the mechanic told me that they used low rated bulbs in them. He put a higher rated bulb in for me. I guess there is a life rating on them. Either way the bulb was very inexpensive.

Kent

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

They keep burning out on my Silverado, but I stop by my dealer and he replaces them for free, so I can't really complain. In fact that's the only problem I've had with it so far, in almost 2 years of very hard, including a lot of off road, use. My wife and I love our Silverado.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Hey you started talking about this, and dog gone it if my other bulb didn't blow out. You all, jinxed me. I'm not talking any more. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Kent