Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Project, Shop Now, Home somday!

My Project, Shop Now, Home somday!

Hi All.

I thought I'd share my current project. I bought a 20 acre parcel in North Idaho, on a little lake, about a year ago. The building site overlooks the lake, on top of a bluf. It's a pretty good, steep hike down to the lake-4 wheelers will be coming soon!

I am trying to sell my current house, and am building a pole building on the new place. This building will eventually be our garage/mechanics shop/wood shop long term. Short term, we will be living there. We plan to live in the shop for about a year, to save up some money and pay some bills.

Here is a picture from the house site:

Re: My Project, Shop Now, Home somday!

And here is a picture of the shop. It's 40 x 40, plus the 2 12 foot overhangs on both sides. The front (26 ft) will be garage space, the back portion is partioned off and has my wood shop, the mechanicals room (water heater and pressure tank) and a bathroom. I am putting in some temporary walls to seperate a bedroom and kichen.

I am doing all the plumbing and wiring in the shop myself. I have learned alot, but had alot of fun in the process.

The shop floor is poured now, and the doors are in. New pics to come.

Bri

Beautiful country, nice shop, you sure will enjoy it! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brian,

That is a beautiful piece of property - and a very good looking building.

Have you installed your septic tank/field yet?
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

What a wonderful piece of rural property!!

What will you use for Internet access out there?

Brian,
    Great looking view and I sure like your barn. Are the doors 8 and 12 feet?
    PJ

Great location and a nice shop.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always nice to chat with people that appreciate rural life.

The power, well and septic are all in now. They have pretty well drained the bank account as well! The well is a 400 footer, but at least it's 20 gpm and good water.

Garage doors are 2 9 x 8's and a 10 x 10. I'm working to finish the rough wiring now, and then plan to sheetrock the bathroom myself, so I can finish-plumb it. I'll have someome else finish the sheetrock on the rest of the place-I am too old to try to deal with 14' ceilings on my own! It's coming, I need maybe 2 full days to finish pulling wire. I have the rough plumbing finished.

Once my current place sells, one of the first things I'll do is get a tractor! Lots of work to do around here right now! I already backfilled 80 ft or so of trenching by hand, and don't want to do any more.

Bri

Very interesting looking shop! What does your shop floor look like? It appears that each garage bay has it's own elevation ?? If so, what's the construction technique?

Thanks,
    Henry

Way to go Brian. I am doing pretty much the same thing. I got 85 ac, 13 miles north of Priest River. Where is your place located? This year I put a 30x60 shop on it, see in pictures section, needs wiring, plumbing and finishing inside, will do myself. Also got water well in, 89' 10 gpm, and power. My son helped me trenching to lay water pipes and power. Got older tractor, Ford 1900 and Honda Rancher fourwheeler. Pretty much what you are doing. Sold my house and live in apartment. Hope to start building next summer. Keep me posted about your progress.