Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Project, Shop Now, Home somday!

Re: My Project, Shop Now, Home somday!

Wow, what a beautiful view!!

My wife and I are living in a shop building on 24 acres at the present time. The building is 40 by 60 by 14 foot high walls, with about 23 feet of one end taken up by living quarters, with 8-foot ceilings. We have a staircase leading up to the flat deck on top of the living quarters, where all of our stuff is stored. It has central air & heat, and all of the ductwork and other mechanical is between the I-beam ceiling joists, thus leaving the top flat.

This December will be 2 years, and we are enjoying it, although our view is less stunning. We hope to build a house in about 3 years, after we get more of the principal paid down on the note.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Hey Idaho04, we're neighbors! My place is southeast of Priest River on Jewel Lake. That's off Dufort Road, about 3 miles west of Round Lake. If you take the Jewel Lake road, and look across the lake, you'll just see the shop, we are on the large rock bluff there.

So how did you end up with an 89 foot well around here! I'm glad to hear that you had some good luck there.

I just got home from the shop-seeing the first snow up in the mountains has changed my priorities-I need to finish framing around my utilities room (pressure tank and water heater), and get that room insulated and heated before our first hard freeze.

We'll have to get together some time.

Bri

Well, we have been living in the shop for the past year or so, and are now ready to start the house. We have rough-excavated, and had to have some rock blasted for the basement. We did that last week. I have someone coming with an excavator next week to clear the debris-the backhoe I have been using is too small for the work to be done.

I am attaching a copy of the plans-there is a bit more to do, but the basics are there. The house is a rancher witha daylight basement. I need to finish up the last of the detailing on the drawings, window schedule, etc. My wife and I are going to do most everything, except the concrete flatwork. We are using ICFs for the "concrete" portion of the daylight basement. We had the ICFs delivered last week, I'll post a pic, makes quite a pile of foam. We will be bending rebar for the footings and walls today.

I'm need to have the shell up and tight by this fall, and will move inside for plumbing and wiring over the winter.

I'll post as things come along. Must be crazy.

Bri

OK, so I can't post a pdf...the attachment in the post above is the main floor plan, here are the elevations. Things are a bit deceiving, I dont show the gradeline here, you can see the steps in the foundation wall that follows grade.

Bri

Well, its been a while since I posted, been too busy working on the place...weekends and evenings for the last several months. Its getting dark earlier all the time so I'm now spending time inside.

Here's a pic of the footing forms..

And here we are stacking the ICFs...

Pumping concrete...day started out nice....

but...the hail started with the last load of concrete....ouch!

OUt came the hard hats...notice a couple guys taking cover under boxes. This is about the worst hail storm I've seen out here..just my luck.

Working on the basement...moving fill for the floor slab. Getting more use out of the tractor.

Pumping concrete for the basement floor