Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleas!!!!

Fleas!!!!

We've recently moved to the country [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , but found out the fleas are terrible out here [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Does anyone have any remedies to cure or at least cure these dispicable creatures? ( I've already spread diazinon over the yard- didn't seem to do much good.)

Re: Fleas!!!!

You mentioned treating the yard, that's good. Did you also treat the house and any pets you may have? Now that the weather is turning cooler they will be looking for warm bodies and environment.

Fred

<font color="blue"> remedies to cure or at least cure these dispicable creatures </font color>

There's good info on the web about this, and talking to a vet helps, too. We've always had several dogs, but never a real flea problem, so I have not had to deal with this personally, but I've picked up good tips from our dog-owning friends.

Basically, my understanding is that the adult flea is the smallest part of the problem in an infestation. You need to go after the egg, pupae and larvae stages, and these are not on the dog (the adult flea comes onto the animal only to feed). In your house, they will be in your furniture, rugs, and dog bedding. These all need to be vacuumed thoroughly, insecticide the vacuum-cleaner bags, throw them away, and do it again, and again, and clean and spray everything. Good to treat the yard, too, as you have done.

Get rid of the breeding stages of the flea and nuke their habitat, and the adults will disappear.

All of our dogs wear flea/tick collars during the active season. Other products will also help keep adult fleas off the animal, but if you have an infestation, you need to attack the other stages as well. Hope that helps some. Good luck!!!

Fleas can drive you out of your house. We had problem about fifteen years ago. A "friend&amp;#8221; brought his dog to our home and left fleas for us to raise. We had our own dog and soon she was infested. The carpets, furniture, yard and dog all had to be treated. The yard was easy and after we bought some carpet and furniture treatment from our vet that did the trick. It took three treatments in order to get the eggs as they hatched. I took about three weeks to rid our home of the fleas.

We now use advantage on our dogs and have not had a flea problem. We can't treat the land because it is 23 acres.

I know that there are probably better products available now. So treat the dog, the yard and the house and you will solve the problem. Once you have the fleas out of the house use advantage or some similar product on the dog and good luck.

FT,

Check out this web site for DIY Flea and pest control.

pest control

Carl

thanks for all the info. the battle is on!!!

Once the initial battle has been one (spraying vacuuming bathing etc.)

Be sure to stay ahead of the game. As they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I've had great success with the frontline brand flea &amp; tick treatment.
    Hazmat

<font color="red"> BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU USE ON YOUR PETS!! </font color> The "visiting dog" infested my Standard Poodle and I purchased an over the counter product called BIO-SPOT and it KILLED my dog. She spent several days in the vet hospital and started to improve then suddenly died, we were heartbroken. The vet told me he has had numerous cases of this very same thing yet they won't pull it off the shelves. I called the chemical company and spoke with one of the developers of the product and he seemed surprised along with denying this could happen [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . Every time I see their displays in a store I take out my trusty marker and write "poison, this product killed my dog" on it. I purchased a spray from the vet that did a great job in the house and on the animals, it is expensive and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, your vet should have it.
    Bayrat

Farmertoad,

We use Frontline and Heartguard on our 5 English Springer Spaniels and have never had a problem. My wife does hunt tests with the two youngest &amp; they have never come back from the field with fleas or ticks.

I also keep our 5 acres mowed, with the exception of a couple of "high grass" areas for my wife to practice "hunt dead" retrieves.

Hazmat, In your picture where are you sailing? I've been sailing for 50 years and worked for Hood Sailmakers for 20 years on the Great Lakes. When I quit racing, I discovered something new I call "pleasure sailing".

I think that was taken in Nantucket Sound during the Figawi Race.
    Hazmat