Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Home Pole Barn

Motor Home Pole Barn

I have been looking at pole barn kits but wonder if they make metal barn kits for motor homes? I have a need for a pole barn for my tractor but the resale of my property down the road would be more appealing if the barn were sized to fit a motor home. Is there a pole barn web site for motor homes?
    PJ

Re: Motor Home Pole Barn

I have a 30 X 53 X 14 Morton building. The insulated overhead door is 12' tall by 14' wide. I built this tall of a building for future rv purchase. The door is opened and closed via a push button wall unit and/or remote control unit.

Stanleyin MD,
    Was this a standard size they carried or did you develope plans and submitted? If you don't mind, what did this unit cost?
    PJ

One thing to remember is that some motorhomes have a height of 12' 2", and a 14 ft. tall door is required.

PJ:
    Two years ago I built my own pole barn to accomodate my motor home, tractor, and a workshp. I got a set of pole barn plans from 84 lumber. The set of plans was for a 24'W x 32'D x 10'H building. I modified the plans by splitting them down the middle and adding a 16'W x 16'H section between the two halves - making a total 40'w x 32'L building with the side sections being 10'H and the middle section 16'H. The middle section has 12' x 12' doors. You can see the story of the construction here: Bill & Gayle's Barn Raising

Bill,
    Thanks very much for your comments and the attached thread. Both my wife and I enjoyed the pictures and very impressed with the final product. Sure gave us some very good ideas. You had some very good help with this project, ours will be my wife and myself so we may end up with a kit but at this point not sure if it will be wood or steel.
    PJ

PJ, sorry for the late reply. The building was a standard size building and the overhead door is 14'2" X 12' high. The door has a remote operated garage door opener (commercial type) and windows for light. Too small for someone to crawl through though. When I went to the Morton sales center (Gettysburg, PA) I advised the salesman of my intentions for the use of the building and we came up with my size. Morton will pretty much build what you want. It all comes down to the dollar. As to what I paid, it was just under $27K. I realize that this is much more than other competitors BUT the quality is so much better. You get what you pay for. I am so happy that I went with Morton. This is a one time construction project for me so I feel the money is well spent. Go to www.thehoffmanns.com, click on Aug-Sept., 2002 (106), then click on ALL for the pages. At the bottom of the page are a few pictures of MY morton building taken by Gatorboy from the TractorbyNet forums.

One thing I did forget to mention is that I plan to purchase a fifth wheel RV with a low ceiling bedroom so the height of my door won't be a problem. Dumbdog is right though in that you might possibly need a taller door depending upon which RV is purchased.

Thanks for the information and the thread. I don't know if I can swing a morton but sure do like what you did. I may start out with a rock floor and then as money comes in cement it over.
    PJ

Forgot to ask, appears to be storage in the upper area, is this correct?
    PJ