Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What % foreign parts are in American made vehicles

Re: What % foreign parts are in American made vehicles

How about "Give Peace a Chance"?
    John and Yoko

It's all pretty foreign to me. Have you tried working on one of these new vehicles lately? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I'm easily impressed, the neatest thing I've found on my '99 Silverado is when I push the trip odometer reset with the ignition turned off, it reveals total engine hours. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I also understand that when the computer tells you to change the oil, it's based on revolutions since the last reset, not mileage. Now that's impressive. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It is amazing,an guy was at my house the other day in a New Cadillac,it would show the % life left on the oil,the average MPG etc..........and I forget what else right on the dash. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

Scott, Any idea how they estimate/measure remaining oil life? Hopefully it isn't some kind of approximation based on mileage. I would hope for optical transmissivity and or electrical conductivity, the first to detect darkening of the oil with use and the other to detect metalic wear particles. Who knows, maybe they use an optical forward scattering particle detector to give an approximate count of wear particles, that is pretty simple technology.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The company I work for makes automotive seals, and it is absolutely amazing where all of the small components come from. The seals in your car have 50 or more different components, and they come from quite a few different countries, and that's only for one part in your car. Our parts, of course, show country of origin as USA, but there are so many different countries that contribute materials that it makes me wonder what "made in the USA" truly means.... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Pat....I have know idea,I did not know until the other day that it could even be done,it would be interesting to know how it would be figured...............I would say your are close on your assumptions.

So true,
    It is hard to imagine how many parts are made where and how they are made and designed,even where and how the machinery that makes the parts etc was created and made...........it is like a never ending cycle.

<font color="blue"> Any idea how they estimate/measure remaining oil life? </font color>

Here's one method, and I'm not even sure how it worked "under the hood", or even if it's any good.

I had a Mercedes ML-320 for almost three years. It's "change oil" system started with a pre-programmed 10k miles, and then added or subtracted as you drove, depending on the "driving conditions" (this is the part I'm not sure what they were "measuring").

I kept checking the time 'til change miles, and sure enough it was adding for me because I drive gently. It finally said I needed my first change at approx. 12k. The literature with the vehicle suggested some drivers/conditions could stretch it out to more than 15k, while others might have to go at 5k.