Thread: Crate Engines

Crate Engines

Has anyone installed a crate engine in a vehicle that originally had pollution controls on it?

I ask because many of the mfgr sites indicate the following, Some parts are not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles. All of the installations I've seen on TV or read about, the crate motor was being installed in a new vehicle, e.g., street rod, kit car, etc., or in an older vehicle, but never in a vehicle newer than 1970/1971.

I was contemplating replacing the 350 V8 in my 1991 K1500 (when the engine dies) with something with more torque for towing our gooseneck horse trailer, but was wondering if it was legal to do so.

This past weekend, Horsepower TV on TNN showed installing an Edelbrock crate engine in a Chevelle wagon. So, I went out to the Edelbrock site and only one of their engines, the base model (310 hp, 375 ft lb) indicated it could be installed in pollution controlled vehicle. While the 310/375 is the base motor ($4,900 - $5,200), it would still be way more power than my stock 350 V8, but opting for the top of the line 430 hp/408 ft lb ($7,200 - $7,800) sure would be fun. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Crate Engines

Mike - the reason that they recommend certain engines for certain years is that the camshaft profile is designed to work with the pollution controls and induction (carb/TBI/TPI/SPI) that were originally installed in the vehicle. If you install a hotter engine you may have to revise the computer prom (earlier models) or the entire computer on later models. Exhaust mods may also be in order to go from an earlier bed style cat. conv. to dual high flow converters,and/or to add additional O2 sensors before and after the cats. Other original sensors may also be affected and may need to be changed to work with the newer engine.
    This is not to say that the conservative profiles of the earlier 88-94 engines can't be changed at all - best bet is to get with your local dealer and find out what they have been installing and what they have encountered. Some engine applications may need a higher stall converter to really function well. Another option is installing a 383, available as a GM factory crate engine. Torque is king - that's what moves you off the line, hp is what keeps you going.
    My opinion is that I would rather have the GM crate engine over the Edelbrock version. When my 350 in my 91C1500 dies, I will either rebuild it or get the 383. Shop around on the internet and you can get a pretty good discount.
    Nick

Thanks for the tip on the 383. That's a stroked 350, right? All that torque, 435 ft lbs, looks great for towing. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

That is correct. 350-bored .030 with a 400SB size crank.
    Torque is fun... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Nick, is your pickup red? I think I saw you about 2 weeks ago pulling your tractor on a trailer on Hwy 90.

Just wondering.

Scott

Scott - that's too funny. If it was that short stretch of Hwy 90 between Pederson Rd and 2855 then that was me. The description fits!
    BTW - I called BCI and asked them to hold off on the Thursday barn delivery till we see what Lilli brings. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Better than having barn pieces scattered all over the county.
    Nick

Nick, it was. I just turned off 2855 heading towards Paterson.. I think we will be ok for Lili. I am so excited finally. My old house is closing tomorrow morning. Now I can get my tractor and barn and and and.