Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need new (small) riding mower

need new (small) riding mower

Well, I've finally landscaped my yard and planted grass. Lots of Kubota time! Anyway, with the new grass comes new responsibilities, namely cutting it neatly and easily. My lawn has too many obstacles to consider a mid-mount on my 2910, so I need to replace the old riding mower with a new one. This is where I want some advice.

I don't want a push mower, as Texas summers are too hot, and speed of mowing is a factor. All told, I'm probably talking about 1/3 acre or so to maintain, all in Bermuda grass. I know I want hydrostat/automatic, and I think I want foot controlled, so's I can still drink my beverage. Durability is an issue, particularly axles because of some uneven terrain, but I don't need commercial-grade. The deck can't be too wide . . . my current mower is 38" and that's plenty, sometimes too wide to get between stuff. I've seen a neat little rider called a Lawn Bug I believe, but don't know much about them.

So here's the question finally [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] , does anyone have some guidance on a mower like this? Fairly small, durable, auto/hydro, and not a ton of $? I'd like to stay under $1,500 if that's possible, but would probably fork over $2k if necessary.
    Fishman

Re: need new (small) riding mower

We just bought a Scotts (John Deere) lawn tractor for our church. They are changing their styling, color and model designations for next year, so now at the end of mowing season might be a good time to buy.

It has 17.5hp Kohler, 42" cut, hydrostatic foot pedal, hour meter, and of course it's made by John Deere. Paid $1359 (20% off) at Home Depot in Garland, TX. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Eagle Ridge

BillG49,

I believe I've seen those at the HD near me, $1699 list. 20% off sounds great!!!!

The thing that puzzles me though is the color: <font color="orange"> Orange! </font color>

Fishman

Next year they will be JD<font color="green"> Green </font color>. I guess being<font color="orange"> Orange </font color> was too Kubota-ish! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Eagle Ridge

Spend a little extra and go for a dixon ZTR. After running 1 you couldn't run fast enough to give me a regular rider. Mowing time is cut in half and is fun. I bought mine used in 94 and little to no maintenance problems. Have a pre-teen son that actually wants to mow.

<font color="blue">Durability is an issue, particularly axles because of some uneven terrain, but I don't need commercial-grade </font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Food for thought...

You should be able to pick up a new 36" walk behind commercial mower for about $2K. (Deere's is $2,500) It will cut faster than any lawn tractor w/ 38" deck. It will outlast you. Since you already have the Kubota, you don't need the "utility" of a tractor (pull a cart etc.)

Demo one side by side vs. a tractor.

You can also get an attachment known as a velke or sulky that lets you ride along behind, but w/ a 1/3 acre you will be done in &lt; 20 minutes anyway.

Check out Ransomes / Bobcat, Scag, Exmark ($$$), Toro, Honda, Deere. The "belt drives" should be in your price range.
    Hazmat

I've got to agree with Hazmat -- a 36-48" walk-behind is the way to go. If time is your issue, and you have obtacles to manuver around -- you can't go wrong with a walk-behind. I cut grass in Florida for years, so you won't be able to argue the heat issue with me.

You can get yourself a sulky (as Hazmat also pointed out), so all you have to do is stand there and run the hand controls. You may not even break a sweat. This is the sulky I have (but in black), it's called Jungle Wheels:

I bought mine new on eBay for only $129.

Here I am with my Scag 48".

But the fact that you have Bermuda grass raises the question -- Shouldn't you be looking for a Reel-Type mower? Bermuda should be cut very very short.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

<font color="blue">Shouldn't you be looking for a Reel-Type mower? </font color>

I'm not sure, and welcome any information. I used a manual reel-type mower on a small yard about a decade ago and it cut great. The problem I had with it was sticks and rocks always got caught between the reel and the cutting edge. Sticks and <font color="red"> especially </font color> rocks are a fact of life in my yard. Lots of rocks. Would that be a consideration with a powered reel mower?

How does the cut of a walk-behind compare to a riding mower. How about a small push mower?

I like the thought of increased maneuverability. Definitely an issue with my lawn.

It seems like a walk-behind would take some of the fun out of lawn mowing. Not that its a huge consideration, but is it more fun to drive a lawn tractor than walk behind a mowing deck?" [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Fishman

A couple of excellent points Hazmat. Do you have a particular brand that you are partial to or have experience with?
    Fishman

Wichiwichi,

Those ZTR's really are neat, but don't used ones usually go for big $$$ [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I was under the impression that $3k and up was the norm. That's a lot of dough. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Fishman