Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need new (small) riding mower

Re: need new (small) riding mower

I've had personal experience with the ransomes bobcat. But all the other's mentioned are quality products. I think I forgot to mention LESCO.

The cut quality is typically much better than a budget rider mower. The top of the line $$$$$ Deere's and simplicity etc. would give them a run for their money. The only difference compared with a 21" push mower is it has smaller wheel marks.

My experience is with temperate area grasses (North East) Fescues & Kentucky Blue. Tycpical cutting height 2.5-3.5". I don't know jack about bermuda.

The dealers of the commericial mowers typically have demo's available. You can try before you buy (on YOUR lawn).
    Hazmat

Not fun? I love to pull out my 48" walk-behind each week. Sometimes I catch the neighbors in awe of the size and manuverability this baby has.

On the topic of Bermuda: Back when I was in the lawn business we had a client that had Bermuda -- we cut that lawn twice a week with a regular 21-inch mower at the lowest setting. It did a pretty nice job. I am not that big of a fan of Bermuda, too much maintenence -- for the southern grasses, I am a fan of St. Augustine type grass.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Paid $1200. for mine and best money I ever spent. If you watch the paper some good used ones can be found for a good price. If you have a Dixon dealer in the area most will let you test drive them. If manuverability and time is an issue you can't beat them. Mine is 42" and I can mow aproximatly 1/2 acre in 20 minutes mowing on the diagonal. On the subject of bermuda grass it all depends on which variety. Mowing height is not a big issue with most but it is a very intrusive grass. Will take over a flower bed in a heartbeat. I have common bermuda and keep it mowed at 2 1/2 to 3 inchs.

Thanks again, all. This is really helpful.

Gatorboy, the reason I chose bermuda was because of low maintenance. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Fertilizer and particularly water needs are supposed to be less than St Augustine. Did I make a mistake? I'm not concerned with the intrusiveness of the grass where it's at, there's no place for it to go. I think I have common bermuda. Any hints on how to take care of it would be great.
    Fishman

I guess I should not have been so quick to say high maintenence on the Bermuda -- I still have memories of cutting that one guys lawn twice a week. He wanted his yard to look like a golf course.

This information from Seedland may be helpful to you.

Once established it requires very low water and takes care of itself. Just mow it and go.

Mow it high.. 3" minimum and it's low maintenance, any lower and you gotta weed, water, and feed constantly. Same with any southern grass.

I could rant for hours on mowing height. Most lawnmowers won't even go as high as I like to mow. Asinine to see people spend big bucks on a sod job and then scalp it to oblivion.

LazyJ,

Bermuda is supposed to be cut very short.

However, I must agree with you on most grasses, people cut way too short. I cut at about 4" on my lawn. A little known fact is that the height of the blade is equivalent to the length of the root. So when water becomes scarce, my lawn can outlast all the neighbors.

<font color="blue"> So when water becomes scarce, my lawn can outlast all the neighbors </font color>

Me too. Summer height is 3.5", spring &amp; fall 3". Despite the drought we had, only 1 little section actually got brown. The rest of the grass slowed down substaintially, but was still green.

I cut shorter in the cooler months to slow down the growth of the grass. I don't know this for a fact, but it is my impression that the growth rate is somehow related to the height of the grass (more photosynthesis??).
    Hazmat

Well, the grass slows down in the cooler months regardless of height I believe. The temperatures as well as amount of sunlight per day are the big factors for growth.

I also cut shorter in the Fall -- as a matter of fact, I just lowered my mower deck about an inch this past weekend. The grass cuts a llittle better when the deck is lower (blade of grass is more rigid closer to the ground) -- but boy, does my grass get nice and thick in the Spring and Summer when I cut higher.