Thread: Roof Time for Rube

Roof Time for Rube

Well, I've gotta face facts and realize that this roof is not going to make it through the winter. It just spring yet another leak. The last fellow that was up there repairing it said that the wood sheathing is terribly brittle, and we also know that there are areas that are not adequately supported .... where the spacing between the rafters exceeds the 24 inch standard, etc.

This will be the first time that I will have contracted for a complete roof. It is a hip roof with regular shingles. I am not quite up to the job of doing it myself .... the roof is something I would like to have a professional do. So I am preparing to take bids.

So .... what things would you insist that a bidder include in their proposal? What other wisdom can you offer me?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Roof Time for Rube

Perhaps a licence, proof of adaquate insurance, bondable, type and quality of materials, time frame and lots more that I don't even know about.
    Perhaps pay for all materials yourself to avoid leins if the contractor fails to pay bills.

It may be simplest to work through an architect and lawyer for the plans/bidding process.
    Just my thoughts.

Egon

Re: Roof Time for Rube

Dave,

You could replace the entire roof including framing but that would be $$, however if you went this route you could add a second floor possibly with a new roof pitch. This approach usually will need an architect as this is major surgery.

Two alternates to this are;

Least Costly:
    -sister rafters in between the existing spaces tying into current roof
    - replace any rotted damaged sheathing with new boards
    - install ice and water barrier 5' up on all sides
    - 90Lb roofing felt then shingle with new material

More costly:

- Remove all sheathing, install new rafters where needed then install 5/8 Plywood sheathing and roof as above

As Egon mentions contract terms, insurance, etc are all important.

What you will find with three bids will be different approaches from contractors to solve your problems. Solict their advice and go with the one that offers the best solution for quality, speed and then price. (you don't want it uncovered to long)

Lastly is debris removal - esp nails make sure it includes all cleanup and covering of plantings etc..

Good Luck

Carl