Thread: Air Pressure Gauge

Air Pressure Gauge

Any recommendations for a good air pressure gauge? I picked up one of the digital ones that was hanging at the checkout counter at Advanced Auto Parts. It's more of a pain to use than a convenience given the time it takes to reset and the auto-power off kicking in. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Air Pressure Gauge

If you just need the "stick style" (little stick shoots out with #s on it) Anything by Milton is great. If you want a dial type, pick up a 4wd mag and look for the Rockgage in the ads. Beware, they are high dollar, but droppable.

I have two complaints about air gauges for tire inflation checking: 1. they don't seem to be very accurate and 2. they don't seem to last very well. I have a partial solution for the accuracy problem. I get permission at the store (this doesn't work for internet sales) to try at least 3 of them. If they agree in pressure in the region of interest, I buy at least one. If they don't agree I reject the one farthest from the "central tendency" and test yet more. If the majority agree, then take one or more of the ones that agree. It is not a perfect system. It is not as good as comparing to a known good gage, but in a pinch, it sure increases your odds of getting a fairly good gauge. Thermometers and or hygrometers (humidity meters) are another source of humor. Next time you are in an auto parts or other store, look at the wide variation these instruments report while haning on the rack next to each other. Tire gauges are that way too, just not so obvious if you don't check.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Mike, I forgot to mention that digital gauges aren't neccesarily better than analog and they of course have bateries that are subject to overheating in some instances and or freezing in others. They aren't particularly better than analog in accuracy either, just easier to read usually, being less prone to operator error interpolating between marks or whatever.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I got this one and I've been very happy with it. No, it doesn't fit in a shirt pocket very well (unless you like lop-sided shirts [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) but fits in a glove box fine. (I just keep mine in the garage and get it out when I plan on airing something up.)