Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Hybrid View

Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Which do you prefer - gas grills or charcoal - and why?

I hope this doesn't become a heated topic... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Yes, this could really heat up [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I actually prefer both. Have a gas grill at home which is great for the convenience but I keep a Weber charcoal grill in our camper. Can't beat the taste of charcoal. When we're camping I usually have a lot more time available for cooking and such so I don't mind the extra time required for charcoal. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade my gas grill at home (any recommendations?) and add a charcoal grill for those lazy weekends [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I should add one of the other factors is control of the heat. My gas grill is a cheapie and the heat is very uneven and hard to control. With the charcoal I can see where the coals are and know exactly where the heat is. I can move the coals around to adjust the heat as necessary. I'm hoping with a better gas grill this won't be such a problem [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Well, I'm a multi-grill kinda guy. At home I use a 45,000 BTU Capt'n Cook grill from Barbecues Galore. It has three stainless steel burners, and a large grilling surface. The temperature is fairly easy to control (and you can always turn off a burner or two), and it uses ceramic briquets. Out in the country we have a charcoal-fired pit, a charcoal-fired smoke shack (I usually use pecan and/or mesquite), and a cheap, Kenmore gas grill. I use the Kenmore much more often, for convenience, and quite frankly can't tell the difference between gas or charcoal cooked food. Now if you throw smoke into the mix, that's another thing (but it's pretty easy to add smoke to the propane cooker). When I was in the market for a new grill, I checked out quite a number of them, and had narrowed it down to a Weber. And then I saw the Capt'n Cook and, well, so much for research. The Weber was great, but it had control knobs and a burner on the side, and I didn't want a burner and thought the space could be better used to hold my beverages, not to mention sauces, etc. Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Weber. They consistently rate among the best.

This might end up rivaling the hydrostatic vs manual transmission threads [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have always been a "charcoal" guy, but when I searched the web for some data (considering switching over to gas), I found a surprising number of supposedly "blind" taste test results that indicate no clear winner.

Here's one such article

I prefer Gas over Charcoal. The taste difference is hardly noticeable (to me), and the gas provides me with quicker heat up time -- much more temperature control which allows me to cook my meats to perfection each time. (We are a rare to medium-rare family)

I also like the fact that I can turn off the gas, and walk in the house without having to worry about cleaning out the ash. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

What brands/models of gas grill do folks like? I have seen them priced from $100 to almost $3000. How much do I need to spend to get good heat control and a normal-sized grilling area?

I need to replace mine, too. For decent quality, I'm looking at either a Weber or Broilmaster. Or, I could just get another cheapy for a 100 bucks - this one that I have lasted 4 years - pretty good ROI.

I have heard that Members Mark grills by Grand Hall are good value. Available at Sams Club. Check out this discussion on another forum [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I prefer the models that do not use the lava rocks -- Weber is one I would recommend.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y