Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Which do you prefer - gas grills or charcoal - and why?

I hope this doesn't become a heated topic... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Yes, this could really heat up [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I actually prefer both. Have a gas grill at home which is great for the convenience but I keep a Weber charcoal grill in our camper. Can't beat the taste of charcoal. When we're camping I usually have a lot more time available for cooking and such so I don't mind the extra time required for charcoal. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade my gas grill at home (any recommendations?) and add a charcoal grill for those lazy weekends [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

This might end up rivaling the hydrostatic vs manual transmission threads [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have always been a "charcoal" guy, but when I searched the web for some data (considering switching over to gas), I found a surprising number of supposedly "blind" taste test results that indicate no clear winner.

Here's one such article

I prefer Gas over Charcoal. The taste difference is hardly noticeable (to me), and the gas provides me with quicker heat up time -- much more temperature control which allows me to cook my meats to perfection each time. (We are a rare to medium-rare family)

I also like the fact that I can turn off the gas, and walk in the house without having to worry about cleaning out the ash. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I should add one of the other factors is control of the heat. My gas grill is a cheapie and the heat is very uneven and hard to control. With the charcoal I can see where the coals are and know exactly where the heat is. I can move the coals around to adjust the heat as necessary. I'm hoping with a better gas grill this won't be such a problem [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Hey they both have their place. I use gas during the week because of the time issue, and charcoal when I want to drink a few beverages and kick back.

How about wood? I use live oak and occasionally mesquite in my "pit" (Texan for a cooker with a firebox attached). The flavor can't be beat!
    Fishman

What brands/models of gas grill do folks like? I have seen them priced from $100 to almost $3000. How much do I need to spend to get good heat control and a normal-sized grilling area?

I'm not sure about the taste difference - it's been a long time since I had anything from a charcoal grill. I'll tell you what, though - catchin' a whiff of a nearby charcoal grill will sure start my mouth watering.

I prefer gas for the convenience - especially if I'm grilling when it's -20 degrees. I also prefer my steak to be quivering and red - you know, like you have to try to keep it from eating your corn [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] .

I need to replace mine, too. For decent quality, I'm looking at either a Weber or Broilmaster. Or, I could just get another cheapy for a 100 bucks - this one that I have lasted 4 years - pretty good ROI.

I have heard that Members Mark grills by Grand Hall are good value. Available at Sams Club. Check out this discussion on another forum [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob