Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Re: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

I prefer the models that do not use the lava rocks -- Weber is one I would recommend.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Oh yeah, another requirement is a high lid. I need that for brew-butt chicken.

While I like the flavor of a charcoal grill, I like the conveniance of the gas. I have a "smoke box" for my gas grill that gives me the best of both worlds.

Ed King

Well, I'm a multi-grill kinda guy. At home I use a 45,000 BTU Capt'n Cook grill from Barbecues Galore. It has three stainless steel burners, and a large grilling surface. The temperature is fairly easy to control (and you can always turn off a burner or two), and it uses ceramic briquets. Out in the country we have a charcoal-fired pit, a charcoal-fired smoke shack (I usually use pecan and/or mesquite), and a cheap, Kenmore gas grill. I use the Kenmore much more often, for convenience, and quite frankly can't tell the difference between gas or charcoal cooked food. Now if you throw smoke into the mix, that's another thing (but it's pretty easy to add smoke to the propane cooker). When I was in the market for a new grill, I checked out quite a number of them, and had narrowed it down to a Weber. And then I saw the Capt'n Cook and, well, so much for research. The Weber was great, but it had control knobs and a burner on the side, and I didn't want a burner and thought the space could be better used to hold my beverages, not to mention sauces, etc. Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Weber. They consistently rate among the best.

I have both, and use gas most of the time, but as far as taste the charcoal blows gas away [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . I have a Bakers and Chefs gas grill I got at Sams a couple of years ago that works well. But every time I fire up the charcoal, I appreciate the better taste.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Maybe my tastebuds have been cauterized by one too many chiles [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] , but I sure can't tell the difference. Must be nice.

<font color="blue"> ROI </font color>

Yet another TLA (three letter acronym) that has invaded the computer world. You almost need a dictionary anymore to read the trade mags [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Sorry, my attempt at humor - the idea that you should consider all purchases, even gas grills, with return on investment in mind. And of course, no exec worth his salt would ever use anything but the acronym.

<font color="blue"> Sorry, my attempt at humor </font color>

No, Paul, me sorry. No attempt at criticism intended. I was just remarking on the proliferation of these TLA's.

We use gas on the deck, electric in the kitchen in the winter and charcoal in a large Weber if we have lots of company. I like the charcoal the best but the gas and electric units are much easier.

Tim