Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Re: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

I like the "Big Green Egg." It's a ceramic cooker that can also be used as a smoker. Very little ash as it's quite efficient at burning charcoal.

I've been lusting after a Big Green Egg ever since I had some ribs cooked on one, but can't quite make the case for yet another grill...

<font color="blue">
    I like the "Big Green Egg." </font color>

I checked out their web site, and the Weber gas one as well. Both look to be good alternatives to the traditional charcoal grill. Interesting concept on the big green egg. When I get to AZ in a few weeks, I'll definitely spend some time checking these out in person.

--thanks

This thread hits close to home. I liked my original charcoal best best, because the fire was hotter (at least it was compared to my cheapie gas one that finally wore out).

I was planning to replace the old gas grill with another charcoal grill, but due to running out of propane when starting to cook for 50 guests arriving, and finding out my old non-conforming propane tanks could not be re-filled, meaning I had to buy a new OPD tank just to finish the grilling, I was in a dilemna. So, after the $50 investment, I decided to look into a "better" gas grill.

I then experienced cooking on a big 3-burner, stainless steel gas grill for our Lions at a local fair one day, and fell in love with that grill. Plenty of heat and plenty of control. BUT, found out they sold for about $1700 - 2500.

I was still shopping, when I ran across this Aussie brand grill, with three burners, a well-made cart, and porcelain grill. I purchased one (without hood) for $225 (marked down from $289) and like it very much. Plenty of heat and good control. I use just two burners for the family, but can throw on 15 burgers at once for a crowd using all three burners. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> I prefer the models that do not use the lava rocks -- Weber is one I would recommend. </font color>

What does Weber use instead of lava rocks? Their web site does not exactly say.

I just found the recent Consumer Reports article rating gas grills. Webers came in at #1 (Summit 450, $2200), #3 (Genesis Silver B, $450), and #7 (Genesis Silver A, $350). Both of the Genesis models were rated Best Buys, and it appears the main difference between the two is cooking and shelf area.

Is one of those the model you use?

I use gas and like ed king have a smoker box for taste and a rotisserie in the winter it goes out to the farmmers porch for year round use
    EDT

Hank,

The Weber grils use two level "flavorizer bars" which are 1.5" porcelain coated angle stock. The SST gas piping runs L&gt;R and the first set of 3 bars run over the SST piping L&gt;R then on top of these are 13 or so bars running from to back.

I have a Weber Genesis (now B model) bought in 85 that is still cooking though I have replaced all the internal guts several times as well reinforced the frame. This unit is now at a camp and we got a new Genesis in 1996.

Another thing I did was replace the original bars with 1 1/2 angle iron cut to length . They last longer and have better heat retention than the thinner porcelain ones from Weber.

The difference between A and B models are cooking burners and area - 2 burners for the A and 3 for the B series.

Carl

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I don't like gas or charcoal. I use various hardwoods. I think that gives you the best taste.

By the way, the gas tanks on grills can be very dangerous if they are not properly maintained and installed. Be careful. I know of many house fires caused by them, they can be like a bomb!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I'm curious. How do you cook using hardwoods? How is it much different than using charcoal?

A friend of mine would always cook his steaks on a fire of hardwood sticks burned on the ground, and when burned down a bit, would throw on a grill grid, and throw on the steaks. They were absolutely great. Not something that can be done easily on the back porch or in the back yard if one lives in town.

Yea, now this thread is getting somewhere. I like apple for fish, chicken and pork. Gotta be mesquite for the slabs of beef and buffalo though. Takes longer, but well worth it. If your gonna use gas, might as well stay inside [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]