Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

Re: Grilling: Gas vs. Charcoal

beenthere,

I can say I prefer a steak cooked over hardwood coals anytime, versus charcoal or gas. When we had a wood burning stove (Riteway box stove) I used a simple two sided wire cage 14x14" approx with a 3' handle stuck in the front over the coals. The smoke went up the chimney and steaks had great flavor.. This type is used to grill fish as well.

When we can have an outdoor fire I will do steaks this way now but thats less frequent these days due to time to prepare a good base of coals.

Now, lobster thats another story, we cook them outside only over an fire with 7 1/2 gallon galv can with lid - see the picture. Great way to enjoy an afternoon with friends then have a marshmallow roast later.

Carl

Carl, that's a great looking firepit. Giving me big ideas for a fun project and just in time for the weather for it. You could use a few more flowers methinks, hehe

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

To cook with hardwoods, you use a charcoal barbeque, and start a fire with the wood instead of charcoal. You let the fire die down until you have nice hot coals, and start cookin'!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Gas. It rains and snows so much here that gas is easier to keep lit. Light the grill and cover it up. Can't do that with charcoal!

Pete

Darn, looks like I missed out on a good topic by not visiting this forum in a while (been real busy the last few weeks trying to get my business going). I have been a big user of gas grills (propane mostly) for thirty years and have always had great luck with the taste of anything I was cooking and their convenience. I keep two extra 40 lb. bottles around and usually go through 3-4 a year. That is until I received a big Coleman grill for a sort of Christmas/housewarming present last December. Plain and simple, that grill doesn't cook meat worth a crap. It's got a serious design flaw (I think) because the warming platform always stays over the heat even when the lid is up and the never seems to get a good heat/fire going. I'm thinking it's because it's the only grill I have used that uses a heat shield rather than lava rock or briquets. If it weren't for the marks on the meat, you'd think your steak was cooked in a pan. It just doesn't have that look or taste. I use an old tailgate style charcoal grill when I have something I really want to turn out well, but don't like waiting all that time for the charcoal to ash over, plus it throws my timing off on the other food I'm cooking.
    I have been looking around for a new grill and can't believe the prices on some of them. I'm thinking of going back to a $200 range, briquet style grill, but am having a hard time finding a big one. There was a half hour special I saw on the HG channel on Dish and they had a hybrid grill that uses a small propane tank to fire up the charcoal quickly and without the smell of fluid. It had a trap for the ashes and a built in storage compartment for your charcoal. I sure wish they would air that show again. I think it was called "Grill 2002".

Fred (wishing he hadn't given away his old beat up, lava rock grill)

Fred,

Good luck getting your new business going. BTW here's a link to the Weber charcoal grill that is lit but propane. We bought one as a gift for our good friends several years ago and they love it. I've had the weber kettle grill and now two Weber gas grills. Personally I think they make one of the best grills.

Charcoal w/Propane Ignition

Thanks Carl, on both counts. I think that's the way I'm going to go on my next grill. I guess I won't know until I try one out, but once you find something that works for your style of cooking... it seems best to keep it until it literally falls apart. It's hard to replace something you're used to, even if it has more gadjets.

Fred

Late on this BUT

You can't beat Charcoal. The absolute best Grill / Smoker is the Big Green Egg. See em at www.biggreenegg.com

Over the years I've had several and the Egg wins hands down. Use it as a Grill or Smoker. Absolute temperature control, no need for water pan when smoking. Burns well, saves charcoal too. You can cook / smoke on em year round. I have smoked ribs / chicken / turkeys on it in Zero degrees for 4 -6 hours. Try that on metal can smoker - It don't work

Guess it's time to start searching for my grilling books and copy others off the 'netr ... just finished unloading our new grill into the shop to start setting up for spring. Decided to retire the old propane grill and upgrade to a new stainless steel propane grill. Sucker weighs over 500 lbs ... had to use the tractor to lift out of the truck and get into the shop ....
    Now I'll HAVE to get grilling ... to justify that kinda cash!
    I like charcoal ... but it ain't very convenient ... gas is just too easy to regulate ... and quick ... and cleaner.

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Woodcoals Pete.
    Takes a long time but then one gets to sit and watch the fire and hydrate.

Egon