Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built in bookshelf, try to paint or build new one?

Re: Built in bookshelf, try to paint or build new one?

painting is always easier than rebuilding.
    That said, a beautiful bookcase makes books (I LUV BOOKS) look even better.
    If you remake the bookcase using good materials (why bother replacing of you're going to go cheap), you're looking at the upper end of your range.
    I much prefer my bookcases (and any cabinetry) with a kickplate. You'll find the same on almost any kitchen cabinet and most similar furniture ... so ... do the floor first, easier than trying to get it installed right under the kickplate.
    The main reason I like kickplates for bookshelves - did I mention I LUV BOOKS? - is that it keeps the books off the floor where water damage is more likely to happen.

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

<font color="blue"> I much prefer my bookcases (and any cabinetry) with a kickplate </font color>

I don't recall even (ever) seeing a cabinet without some sort of kickplate, either flush or recessed like in a kitchen (toekick). Just doesn't look "right" without one.

Another good reason for keeping the bottom shelf up is to be able to scribe or shim the cabinet sides (and front kickplate) to fit an uneven floor. Also, where a built-in butts a wall, let the face frame run past the cabinet upright behind it, if necessary making it wider than the finished size, so it can be scribed to fit a wall that's not plumb.

I know i promised you guys a pic, but it came out really bad. The cheap camera doesn't have a flash. The project is starting this week, I'll start a new thread. Hopefully I can get some before, during and after shots to share.
    Hazmat