Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AFFORDABLE table saws

Hybrid View

AFFORDABLE table saws

I've been reading the Table Saws thread in the fabrication forum.

The $300-$600 difference in price you guys are talking about amongst the high end machines is about what I want to spend.

It's first job will be to rip the "last run" of hardwood flooring. It will see occasional use here and there for home improvement. I am not even a "hobby" woodworker.

What do you guys recommend for mere mortals like myself? Any brands over others? Any "features" I should look for?
    Hazmat

Re: AFFORDABLE table saws

You will see in the thred I talked about the cheep Skill I have. Not the best, but I have had no real problem with it.
    Paul Bradway

Look for the largest amp rating you can get and try for a saw that has the blade driven by belts rather than directly from the motor.

Egon

<font color="red"> try for a saw that has the blade driven by belts rather than directly from the motor.
    </font color>

I've never herd of that before. Whats the advantage?
    Paul Bradway

You usually get a lower rpm motor and it's easier to replace the motor with something else if reqired.
    Egon

In some cases it also allows a greater depth of cut. Some saws have the blade mounted directly on the motor. So the diameter of the motor prevents the blade from raising out of the table as far as it might otherwise.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

The main advantage of belt drive is more useable power. I have the delta contractor's saw mentioned above. It is belt drive and will zing through 2x stock all day without a wimper. It was about $500-600 if I remember. I've used their economy direct drive model and although it did the job, it wasn't as easy to use and to me (subjective) lacked power although they are rated nearly the same hp wise. The fence felt very cheap and clunky compared to the contractor model. I should say my only other experience prior to using the direct drive model was with a Delta Unisaw and my Delta Contractor.

I have the Jet contractor saw, and have been very happy with it. It runs right around $500; there were 2 things I liked about it as opposed to most other saws in this range. First, the fence is pretty solid, and equally important moves and locks into place easily and smoothly. Also the motor is TEFC (totally enclosed, fan cooled), meaning that the internals are sealed so you don't get sawdust inside.

Bri

Thanks for the advice so far. Now I have an idea of what to look for. My brother has a cheap craftsman (they sell stuff from $100 - $1,500 what a range!). He complained about the fence.

Related question, Are the extensions that most manufacturers sell worth it? I can see the benefit of 48" of "capacity" vs. the "standard" 24" or so. I do have a circular saw that I can use for this application.
    Hazmat

The belt-drives also offer smoother power transfer to the blade.