Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AFFORDABLE table saws

AFFORDABLE table saws

I've been reading the Table Saws thread in the fabrication forum.

The $300-$600 difference in price you guys are talking about amongst the high end machines is about what I want to spend.

It's first job will be to rip the "last run" of hardwood flooring. It will see occasional use here and there for home improvement. I am not even a "hobby" woodworker.

What do you guys recommend for mere mortals like myself? Any brands over others? Any "features" I should look for?
    Hazmat

Re: AFFORDABLE table saws

You will see in the thred I talked about the cheep Skill I have. Not the best, but I have had no real problem with it.
    Paul Bradway

Look for the largest amp rating you can get and try for a saw that has the blade driven by belts rather than directly from the motor.

Egon

<font color="red"> try for a saw that has the blade driven by belts rather than directly from the motor.
    </font color>

I've never herd of that before. Whats the advantage?
    Paul Bradway

I am new to BCN and still catching up. I am a vivid woodworker and like to build. I have an old Craftsman TS which works OK. I have bought a lot of other tools recently, such as, bandsaw, planer, jointer, mortiser. I like Grizzly tools. They have a great catalog, good prices and excellent service. Their shipping was not always the best but they always provided good support. To summarize; maybe a little hassle to get it working but once it is tuned up and working it lasts and works well. As fas as TSs, the most important is the blade and fence.

You usually get a lower rpm motor and it's easier to replace the motor with something else if reqired.
    Egon

<font color="blue">As fas as TSs, the most important is the blade and fence. </font color>

I agree 100%. A good blade for the intended purpose. A fence that clamps down always parallel to the grooves in the table. Aftermarket fences can alleviate this issue, but it's better if you have a decent one to begin with, so you are not always fighting it. Motor power can always be compensated for by slower feed/smaller cuts.

At one time, the Delta "Contractor's Saw" was a good deal.

<font color="blue"> A fence that clamps down always parallel to the grooves in the table. </font color>

A fence that clamps down closer to the blade at the far end (even by 1/32") creates a very dangerous situation, as the work is in a bind, and will want to kick back.

In some cases it also allows a greater depth of cut. Some saws have the blade mounted directly on the motor. So the diameter of the motor prevents the blade from raising out of the table as far as it might otherwise.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

The most AFFORDABLE table saw I aquired was one that was in the storage room of the company my wife used to work at. They needed some work done which required me to bring the saw home to do. My wife got "let go" two weeks later. I called the owner and asked when would be a good time to return the saw. She said if I finished the work. I could get my pay and keep the saw. I did both. It really is a piece of crap, but I still have it. Works for what I need it for so far [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]