Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AFFORDABLE table saws

Re: AFFORDABLE table saws

Along the same lines as what Andy is saying, A friend and I have an agreement. We keep a list of tools that we have, and whoever is first to have a requirement for a tool not on the list goes and buys it. However, this only works well with people who share the same respect for tools as you.

<font color="blue">If you really want to buy a saw, take a look at used saws. However, from your post it sounds like you won't be using the saw very much and it might make more sense to find someone who owns a saw who'll do you a favor and cut up some stock for you. </font color>

I picked up the American Woodworker magazine with the table saw review in it. After reading the review, I read the rest of the magazine &amp; thought to myself, hmm I could do that. I'll try to keep this post on topic so see my new post Woodworking: for Love or Money?

I talked to the wife about the $600 Ridgid saw. She said "Do a cost benifit analysis" I said, I drive two hours and borrow my dad's to get us thru this project. But that gets old fast.
    Hazmat

I second the vote for Grizzly. Lots of bang for your buck. I put alot of hours on my tools, and if the time comes to upgrade, I'll know that I've got my money's worth out of my Grizzly machine.

Thanks guys for the lesson on belt drive saws. I had never knew that. I figured direct drive was better. Well, I have been wrong before, and I will be wrong agean. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks
    Paul Bradway

Well, got an email from the wife and I quote "Maybe we should just suck it up and buy the saw (but I'm still thinking about it)". Hmmm sounds encouraging. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Going to look at the Jet &amp; Delta contracters models tonight. I've checked out the Ridgid at the Depot, but nobody there can answer any questions [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Got the <font color="green">Green Light</font color> from the CFO last night. Will be picking up the Jet 10" Contractor at Woodworkers Warehouse tonight.

Comparing the Jet &amp; Delta side by side, the Jet's fence was a little sturdier. Jet was also $50 cheaper ($550). Plus Jet has the $100 new equipment/$50 accessory rebate special. Both saws had steel wings in that price range. It would cost about $200 to step up to the cast iron. Maybe someday if my woodworking aspirations take off.

Thanks for all the advice. Armed with good information, my job of getting approval from the CFO is easier.
    Hazmat

Check this place for some inexpensive table saws. The Craftex brand is thier own and it's pretty good stuff. Not sure about shipping to the US, but couldn't hurt to call - those prices are in CDN.

<font color="purple"> Will be picking up the Jet 10" Contractor at Woodworkers Warehouse tonight. </font color>

Kewl, way to go!

One thing we used to do when we got a new saw, or the saws would not be used for a few days (over Christmas, mostly), was to soak the cast iron table with a 50-50 mixture of kerosene and motor oil. This really helps condition them and prevent rusting while they're idle. We'd do this to every cast iron machine surface in the shop.