Anyone familiar with firing ceramics in a kiln? A friend of my wife gave her an electric kiln and a bunch of molds. It is about the size of a small porta-potty and is 240 volt. I know they get hot and stay hot for a while but have no personal experience with how hot the outside gets or how extensive the fireproofing around them needs to be to not endanger the house and so on.

I told her I would make a place for it in the new house in a corner of HER PROJECT/TEA ROOM. I envision a small fan and a vent to the outside to dump the heat outside in summer or at least an operable window in its little "closet". If there aren't noxious fumes (at least in some of the stages requiring heat) I could arrange it so the heat stayed inside the room to help recover the heat in winter. Open the window when running the kiln in summer and close the window and open the door when you want heat in the room. I haven't read but will read the mfg data plate and see how many amps or watts it wastes, uhh err ahh, I mean uses.

I'm open to suggestions on how to locate this thing for safety, ease of use, and if applicable, energy efficiency (assumes that sometimes it won't generate foul smelling or toxic fumes but I don't actually know about that)

Pat