Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burn pile .... a different question

Burn pile .... a different question

Yes I know there is a question about burn piles elsewhere on the boards, Just burn!
    But my question is this.. any thoughts on having a couple smaller burns right on the garden in the fall and then tilling in the ashes.
    I do sift my regular burn pile and add the ashes to the compost bin already..
    Would the ashes from a burn on the garden be too toxic?

Any thoughts?
    Curtis
    Livin' the simple life, 'ceptin' my high speed internet! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Burn pile .... a different question

My potatoes grew best over one of last years burn piles. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

It wouldn't hurt to do a soil test first. Ashes contain high amounts of potash ie potassium. Sent my levels off the scale when a test was done. I imagine it would depend on amount burned also.

Curtis,

I was going to start a thread on fireplace ashes and the garden, but this thread is similar to what I had in mind.

Our fireplace generates a bucket or two of ashes every day it is used. Over the winter season, that's alot of ashes. I have been just throwing them away.

I am a novice (with a capital N) gardener with about a 15' by 30' garden plot. It's mostly clay. I am trying ot condition the soil and improve the produce.

Will some buckets of fireplace ashes help or hurt??

My simplistic understanding is that potasium encourages root growth and is especially good for root crops like potatoes, eg Dumbdog. Nitrogen makes foliage greener and phosphorus is important for flower blossoms and above ground crops like corn, beans, berries, etc.

Ashes may be high in potassium, but is that something most plants would appreciate anyway, or can it be overdone?

OkieG

If you have a garden plot that is mostly clay the best way to condition the soil is to add well cured manure and sand. This will give you a soil that allows the roots to grow. Clay is to hard for the roots to grow in, the addition of ashes to such a hard soil as clay adds nutrients but does little to help to loosen the soil to encourage good root growth.

The experts around here mix the ashes in the compost pile and let them set for a year then spread them on the garden area. You still should do a soil test to make sure that it is balanced correctly.

<font color="blue">If you have a garden plot that is mostly clay the best way to condition the soil is to add well cured manure and sand. </font color>

That is what I though too but the experts are saying that sand and clay makes brick when it dries out. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I tried for several years to turn clay into good soil by using sand and composted manure. When I stopped using the sand and just kept adding the compost the soil improved faster.

We are "lucky" enough to start all over again with a new property that has clay soil too. It has been only two years of adding large amounts of compost and tilling it into the garden. The soil has improved well and give it another two years and we will have the best of both worlds. Good humus top soil for the roots with a clay subsoil to hold the water. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

DumbDog,
    Thanks for the input. I won't be throwing away the ashes anymore. I also have heard mixing sand with clay is a way to condition soil, but have never tried it. I have access to some brown psuedo-top soil that I mixed into the clay a couple weeks ago when I turned the garden under. That clay is nasty, but it seemed to soften up a bit while I was mixing.

Tenebrous,
    Thanks for responding. What does soil testing tell you? Is that an Ag extension service test? How much does it cost?

OkieG

<font color="blue"> What does soil testing tell you? Is that an Ag extension service test? How much does it cost?
    </font color>

You can buy a simple test kit at some of the better nurseries. It will tell you the ph, nitrogen and potassium levels. They are easy to use and are a help if you are having problems. The directions will tell you the ideal levels. I bought one a year ago and have not used it. Everything seems to be growing OK so I just forgot about it. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

We can also take a sample to the Cornell Extension Office for testing and recommendations. I am not sure about the cost.

OkieG,
    Firewood ashes are highly alkaline. They can quickly turn your soil to basic. Also potassium in large quantities is bad for your garden. I have seen references to put no more than a 5 gallon bucket of ashes in a 3x3x3' compost pile.
    We generate a lot of woodstove ash. Most of it gets spread on the driveway for traction. Only a little goes into the compost pile. I have never mixed it directly into the garden.

If you do use a lot of ash in compost or soil then the soil test would be well worth the minimal expense. Most state university systems have an ag extension office who can help you with this and all sorts of other gardening questions.

Phil