Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery powered circular saws

Re: Battery powered circular saws

There are actually three different saws that are cordless 18v. They have a trim saw, the regular size cordless circular saw, and the 24v model. The trim saw I don't like and it only good for that, trim work and cutting 2x4's and 2x6's. The regular size cordless saw has the power and the ability to cut through anything your regular corded saw will. The 24v is the same as having a very good worm drive circular and will cut through anything and last a long time.

I bought a battery saw and drill set with two batteries. I really did not think that I would use it that much. The two batteries are a must and they will recharge before I will drain the other. I can't remember the last time I used my corded drill and only drag out the 7 1/4 circular saw when I have some real heavy cutting to do.

Buy them you will love the freedom. I was going to buy a generator too but never got around to it after buying the cordless units. If you don't have electric at your site then you may want to add another battery.

Hmmmm. I think it may be a better idea for me to go with the cordless saw w/ multiple batteries.

I've either got to buy a generator, and load that into my truck, unload it at my property, and then haul it back home, unload it back into the garage each day that I work on my pole barn, or go with the cordless and avoid all the hassle.

I will only be cutting 2x lumber, so I think it may work out well. Eventually, I will be having electric brought out to the barn, so the need for a generator will be far less. I know at home, I will always grab my cordless drill/screwdriver over my electric one 9 times out of 10 -- with 10 being the time I forgot to charge up my batteries. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

While I usually agree with Richard 100%, I have to respectfully disagree on this one .... I've never yet seen a battery that charges itself from absorbing electrons from the air (sorry, couldn't resist). So you have to have power somewhere nearby to recharge them.
    I've just found ... in my case where I'm out in the boonies working by myself ... that running back and forth for batteries is more time consuming. Yeah, I suppose I could buy a multiplicity of batteries, but they're not a tax deductible item for me and are VERY expensive. Plus, I've never seen a battery tool yet that has more torque, for any period of time, than a powered tool. When I was building the foaling pen, I took the 18V saws out there to cut the top of the 4x4's off. Had 2 batteries. Made it 1/2 way around. Went and got the genrator and saws.
    Generator is noisy? Can you speak louder please? Sorry, it's one of those days. I don't really notice the generator noise, becuase it has a good muffler and I have safety equipment on ... which includes safety glasses and hearing protectors.
    The generator powers my power tools, my compressor (for my nail guns) and the radio. It idles when I'm not drawing juice.
    Whatever works for you ... but I'll stick to my (nail)guns on this one. The portable tools are great for occasional use but not for serious "putting up a horse shelter" use.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Gatorboy,
    If I recall you have both a tractor and a skid steer. I'm assuming you have both because they both do some things better than the other. I would apply that same logic here and get both the generator and the cordless saw w/multiple batteries. You can get the saw first and if that is all you end up needing then great. If you find you need more power then go get the generator. You will find uses for both of them in the future.

My first cordless saw was a 9.6 volt Makita with around a 4" saw blade. I now have a 18 volt Makita with a 7" blade. Believe it or not the 9.6 volt still gets used every now and then. That thin and tiny blade works great for cutting FRP in commercial kitchens. I also have two generators, a 7500 watt Dayton from Graingers and a 3000 watt Honda. The little Honda is my favorite as it is one of their quietest models. It has the idle feature which throttles down the engine when it is not under load.

Here is the link to the Honda generator that I have.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    you have to have power somewhere nearby to recharge them

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a charger that plugs into my cigarette lighter on my truck. If I start the day with fully charged batteries (I have four) and put the first one in the charger when it's dead, etc., I don't usually run out of power. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gatorboy, I have a Riobi 18v circular saw that I've used for the past couple of years for what I call "detail sawing". The blade is quite thin and is great for jobs when a small kerf is important. They make claims that the saw (and saws from other manufacturers like them) that it will cut so many 2X4s but I have never depended on it for my only saw. We just finished a barn on my property and the workers' TWO compressors were going constantly, primarily charging batteries for their bolt guns and powering their circular saws, drills and nail guns. Hope this helps
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28

I have the 18v DeWalt that I've had for probably 5 years or so and love it. I bought in a combo with the drill. Came w/ 2 bats and charger. I did buy an extra battery. I actually cheated and bought one of the B&amp;D ones. DeWalt service rep told me it wouldn't fit, but it does. I used to be able to tell which was what, but now that the batteries have lost some of their ump (I actually replaced the B&amp;D case w/ DeWalt case that I aquired about a year ago) I can't tell. For the most part the batteries do a good job. Can I cut all day with it? No. But I have used it quite extensively. Actually when I built my 8x16 shed it was the only saw I had at the time. Still use it when I only need to make a few cuts, up in the air and need to make a cut, or when I'm away from power. The key to it is keep a sharp blade on it and make sure not to bind the wood you are cutting. That little slow down you hear on a normal circular saw is just that a little slow down, but w/ the batteries that is a drain of power.

Lowes has on sale in our area a SKILL cordless 14v drill AND 14v saw for $99...

I had a cordless B&amp;D drill but at that price I couldnt turn it down. The $99 included two batteries also.

i priced the dewalt circular saw / drill combo package here in dallas at around 450 bucks at the home depot....i was seriously considering it until i realized i could buy a generator for just a little more and use it for so many more projects ..and i already have all the electric tools i need, so i just throw the generator on the trailer hooked up to the 4 wheeler and go just about all day on it...